How quick it can happen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BuckeyeWilly

Mar 7, 2008
Eastern Ohio
Installed a Drolet Heatmax wood furnace this summer and have been cutting wood about 3 times a week since then. Retired now and have accesss to plenty of free wood for the cutting so have been going at it. Yesterday I went back to drop a huge dead tree (maple) that I had my eye on. I had taken my kubota back to clean out all around this tree and where I wanted to drop it. Notched it and began the back cut and all was going well. It began to fall and then hung up. I waited for about 20 seconds and then went in to cut until it started to fall. Worked fine but somehow when I pulled the saw away it got me on my right knee. I didn't even realize I was cut for a minute or so until I saw my jogging pants torn and blood soaking through. I have cut a lot of wood over the years and this is the first time I have ever been hurt. Take your time guys and be extra careful. Don't know how long I will be out of commission but I sure hate it as the weather cools. It would have been great cutting today!!
20140912_184032_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CTFIRE
Yep, chainsaws are no joke. Good thing it was on the knee cap and not a little higher. I'd suggest getting a pair of chaps from your dealer, much cheaper than an ER visit

I nicked myself in the exact same place this summer with a pair of SHARP redmax hedge trimmers and it's no fun. I didn't realize how sharp trimmers were until I was trimming my knee :eek:. I imagine a chainsaw wound there is much worse, but all things considered you got off alright. Lots of people don't have such happy endings to their skin/chainsaw interactions

Thanks for sharing. Its a good reminder to all of us to be careful out there because it only takes once for something bad to happen. Hope you heal up fast!

Thanks for posting a very good reminder.
I believe that nicking the leg after making a cut but before the chain stops is one of the more common chainsaw injuries. I would amend your advice to read: Take your time, be extra carefull, AND always wear your chaps.

Reactions: 7acres
Thank you for making the effort to alert/remind folks that this stuff is no joke. One has to get on with living life, but it's easy to forget (or much more convenient to ignore) how close disaster lurks. Thanks to you I'll make an effort to stay on my toes. Heal up quick and let's all count our blessings.

Reactions: BillLion
You are very fortunate to be able to tell your story. Bleed out from a major artery cut in the leg is just a few minutes. The first time I nicked my jeans (didn't touch the skin) with the chainsaw, I immediately stopped sawing and did not start again until I got chaps. Now on my second pair. My current chaps have two slight nicks in them. Also wear helmet, face screen and ear protectors.

hope you feel better, my dad caught the chainsaw with his hand a few years ago, was a real wake up for all of us over here, the one thing with chainsaw injuries is that they take chunks out, make sure the wound and area is kept very clan, it can go south quick and in a hurry.

Like I've said before, I purchased my FIRST chainsaw at 60 years of age, started cutting firewood shortly thereafter. I cut about 5-6 cords if wood for myself a year, and work 1 - 2 days a week at my friends farm cutting logs with him for his business.
I put on the chaps & steel toe boots each time I'm cutting. I'm 66, slowing down, and terminally clumsy, and have proven through the years I need no help hurting myself doing normal chores!!

Reactions: BuckeyeWilly
Just looking at your pic gives me the Willies, You are lucky Sir and good reminder to us all. Hope that heals up quick !

Another thanks for sharing, and heal quick! I have chaps, however I don't use them much. I always wear safety glasses, gloves, and steel toe boots. I find myself getting complacent sometimes and that's when I stop cutting. It only takes a split second for things to go terribly wrong, thanks for the reminder

Time I went to the ER with a "chain saw accident", the nurse was noticeably relieved when she saw I had only notched my shin bone. She said when they say "chainsaw" it's usually much worst. I'm way past thinking I'm invincible, like forty years past that time, now I'm scared like a little girl. (said that to get Applesister fired up.lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.