How tall and what chimney do I get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, with 10 inches of clearance from the two back corners of the stove, to the two walls, if I run the pipe straight up until it is 2 feet past the peak, I get 69 inches of chimney outside measured on the short side of the stack. Do I need to brace this, I would rather not?

Daryl

BGreen says every 5' is the rule. Maybe this could vary with manufactures. Your right there. My support is a real simple clamp around the chimney, and 2 small diameter pipes that attach to it on each side. These pipes spread out and are almost level, going back to the 12/12 roof. They are flattened, bent and tucked under a shingle. They attach with one wood screw and sealed over with silicon. You can always try without it and add it later. I did mine after the roof was shingled, and have had no issues.

My chimney comes out of the roof with a metal collar / boot that supports the chimney for about a foot high. The support is up about 5 ' and another 5' sticking up without a support. I think the support is a good thing because when ever I grab hold of the chimney it would move around with it. To prevent my cleaning ladder from tipping over I tie my ladder off to the collar where it attaches to the chimney.

I quickly looked at your clearance dimension, it seams like you are correct. Go over this with the stove store, they are real fussy about this being enough. That's how I ended up with heat shields on the stove and pipes. The Oslo needs a bit more clearance, and the stove pipe I thought had to be 18"

When you do the roof rafter layout, make sure you have the 1' x 1' vertical chase for the metal box thing in the exact spot. I wasn't paying attention and had to rework the 1 finished ceiling, 2 rafters and 6x8 beams.

PM me your Email address and I will send you a few pictures.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.