How to advertise old stove with issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotul8e2

Minister of Fire
Feb 2, 2008
Ozarks
I have an old Dutchwest cat stove that needs to be gone. It is dangerous in my opinion. It sucks air from somewhere (not the door gaskets; I replaced those) and will over fire very easily. It has both a primary air supply and a separate supply to the cat that no one ever figured out how to adjust.

While someone who knows what they are doing could possibly do a complete rebuild, I am tempted to bust it up and sell the scrap. However, all the parts are good and many will fit the newer (and better) Dutchwest stove, and it would be a shame if someone needs just legs or the top or something. The money is not really the issue here.

I know buyer beware and all that, but should I advertise it as complete but not working, or just for parts, or what? I really, really am concerned about someone ignorant of the consequences getting hurt.

I would value any suggestions.

You could try listing it for parts. I have with a few stoves but never got any response s now we scrap most we pull out unless they are fairly new and rebuildable.

I would list it for parts, otherwise someone will get hold of it and light it up and burn down the house.

I would list it for parts, otherwise someone will get hold of it and light it up and burn down the house.

That was the direction I was leaning. I think that is what I will do.

Thanks for the confirmation.

If you're putting it on Craigslist (no cost per word), why not just quote your original post? It says it all, with appropriate caveats...

Status
Not open for further replies.