How to attach flue thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TomMcDonald

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2022
Australia
Hi all,

Wondering about an acceptable way to attach a thermometer to single wall stainless flue? I thought about a rivet or roofing screw but didn't want to do that just yet. I also considered wire but didn't feel it would get enough intimacy with the surface of the flue to give an accurate reading.

Thanks!

Is this a magnetic surface one, or a probe that goes in?

Probes generally also have a magnetic.

If it’s single wall stove pipe can’t you use a simple magnetic flue thermometer? I have double wall and so far been reluctant to drill through it.

If it’s single wall stove pipe can’t you use a simple magnetic flue thermometer? I have double wall and so far been reluctant to drill through it.
Magnets won't work on stainless.
Cheers.

Same here...
Then you're out of luck unless you are okay with a finagled metal wire around the pipe.

I've never heard of single wall stainless stove pipe... Things sure are different down under...

Reactions: TomMcDonald
Same here...
Then you're out of luck unless you are okay with a finagled metal wire around the pipe.

I've never heard of single wall stainless stove pipe... Things sure are different down under...
Thanks.
Maybe I'll just stick with stovetop thermometer.

It took me a couple of weeks to work up to drilling my double wall. Especially since it was in the slip joint and I had to go through all the layers. Git R Done. Best thing I did besides adding the adapter pipe damper.

Reactions: Crab
It took me a couple of weeks to work up to drilling my double wall. Especially since it was in the slip joint and I had to go through all the layers. Git R Done. Best thing I did besides adding the adapter pipe damper.
Point taken.
I have already drilled it for riveting together plus screws at the flue adapater anyway so another hole isn't a big deal I guess.

Reactions: jmb6420
Magnets won't work on stainless.
Cheers.
Well that depends on the stainless it sticks to most 400 series. But that doesn't matter just run a screw through the center but don't run it down to tight it can stop the needle from moving

I also have a slip joint. I’m going to hold off. I know STT is a lagging indicator but got it down on my gradual decrease in air. Will speak with my sweep who was my also my installer next month about it.

Reactions: TomMcDonald
Well that depends on the stainless it sticks to most 400 series. But that doesn't matter just run a screw through the center but don't run it down to tight it can stop the needle from moving
Thanks. Definitely doesn't stick to this.
I'll do it.

I have single wall from the stove to the ceiling box. I use the magnetic type on the stove top and 2' above the stove on the pipe. The stove top temp and the pipe are very close to the same temp. This is a non cat stove. For me the thermometers are more a conversation device. I look at the fire and adjust to fire based on room temp. I rarely run over 350 degrees.

I have single wall from the stove to the ceiling box. I use the magnetic type on the stove top and 2' above the stove on the pipe. The stove top temp and the pipe are very close to the same temp. This is a non cat stove. For me the thermometers are more a conversation device. I look at the fire and adjust to fire based on room temp. I rarely run over 350 degrees.
350 seems very low for STT. Not sure how complete/ secondary combustion happens that low. Also 350 is in the creosote zone on my ST thermometer. I reload at 350 and under. Also have a non cat stove that cruises at 550-625.