How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well, she' just a burning away. It still gets awfully full at level 2, but I use the clinker poker and just kind of stir things up.
If it gets too full I shut off the stove at the control panel. That leaves the room fan running on low, for a little while, and the exhaust fan of course wont stop until I unplug it.
I havent had to do that yet today. I filled the hopper for the first time and added another room fan to blow some hot air.
The convection fan was only just shipped. Expected to arrive next week, like Thurs or Fri.
Our blizzard is mostly wind, thank goodness. I wont be snowed in.
:)
Gonna be time for a paint job this spring when heating season is done. You need to make it presentable and polish the door trim too. A nice looking unit is a happy unit.

Reactions: Ssyko
Gonna be time for a paint job this spring when heating season is done. You need to make it presentable and polish the door trim too. A nice looking unit is a happy unit.
I would love to fix or polish up all the paint and stuff! I thought about it when I first got it home, but Ive seen ones on the marketplace with really bad paint jobs and it looked terrible . I was afraid if I tried it would come out like that. That blotchy black rustoleum or spray paint that you can tell someone added.
What would you recommend to address the places inside that are so rusty? Is there anyway to treat it that might slow it down?

Interior, you are basically stuck with. Exterior, not so much but you will need to prep it by sanding it down, wiping it with a solvent like acetone to remove all the residue, tack it off with a tack cloth and spray it with high temperature semi gloss of flat black stove paint. Not Rustoleum either, a good quality high heat resistant paint. I use exhaust header paint myself. It's good for any exterior temp the stove can make. Exhaust header paint comes in different colors too, but I just use black.

Reactions: Rxwoman1961
Stove looks like it’s running well
WOW. Where was that one?
We had an unusually innactive season last summer.
That tornado was east of Calgary Alberta

There’s quite a few of us here that have sanded and painted a stove or 3 and we’ll give you some pointers when the time comes...fire away with any questions

Last edited:
Reactions: Rxwoman1961
My tractors are about 10 times the size of your Grasshopper. If I had one (always wanted one), it would only have a lawnmower on it. I use a 60" Cub Cadet Tank to mow with (7 acres) and the wife has one too. We play 'dueling lawnmowers' in the summer. personally, I really dislike moving snow but it's a necessary evil. I'd much rather toast in front of the stove anyday along with the cats...

Nothing here, just some rain and I'm all good with that. In fact it's so warm I have the stove puttering along on HR2. I have about 600 feet to keep clear before the road starts and then 1.5 miles to the pavement. Little much for your grasshopper I'd say.
Yes way more than I would want to deal with! I have 300' of blacktop. It is perfect for my set up. I do like the Grasshopper. We only have 2 acres. I have a 61" powerfold deck then put the 48" blower on for the winter. We dont get much snow here, but when we do I need a way to deal with it. And the 27 Hp EFI Kohler does just fine with anything that we get here. The wife does all the mowing in the summer. I have a inground swimming pool company, so zero spare time for me from April till the end of October. Business was thru the roof this past year!!

I would love to fix or polish up all the paint and stuff! I thought about it when I first got it home, but Ive seen ones on the marketplace with really bad paint jobs and it looked terrible . I was afraid if I tried it would come out like that. That blotchy black rustoleum or spray paint that you can tell someone added.
What would you recommend to address the places inside that are so rusty? Is there anyway to treat it that might slow it down?
Stove Bright Satin Black 1990 puts a nice finish on a stove. Flat black from lowes almost looks dark charcoal grey when it drys. This looks like the finish when the stove is new. And it is very forgiving to use.
Buy at this point lets see if we can get it running properly first. no sense putting lipstick on a pig :)

Stove Bright Satin Black 1990 puts a nice finish on a stove. Flat black from lowes almost looks dark charcoal grey when it drys. This looks like the finish when the stove is new. And it is very forgiving to use.
Buy at this point lets see if we can get it running properly first. no sense putting lipstick on a
Agree, get this stove running so it doesn't need constant attention., then worry about paint and polish..

So my Saturday morning question is. Does the stove seem to be loosing air movement through it? Does it act like its clogging up?

I wasn't suggesting now, I said when it warms up as in summer. Far as lipstick on a pig goes, I won't go there.... If you can apply it, more power to ya.

So my Saturday morning question is. Does the stove seem to be loosing air movement through it? Does it act like its clogging up?

now moved to mondays question:)

Reactions: Washed-Up
Must be good to go now, no reply.

Reactions: Ssyko and rickwai
Until another issue comes up and then.....

Kind of the way it rolls on this forum. Rarely do you see any posts where the poster is happy. I'm very happy with mine, I just like to help others... Rick is like me, Sysko too.

In reality about half the comments made can be addressed by reading the owners manual and the Wiki at the top of the forum page though...

Reactions: rickwai
Hey you never know whats up.. I'm sure she'll be visiting here soon...:rolleyes:

She said she works in a nursing home somewhere. I believe full time however.

Reactions: Washed-Up and Ssyko
Until another issue comes up and then.....

Kind of the way it rolls on this forum. Rarely do you see any posts where the poster is happy. I'm very happy with mine, I just like to help others... Rick is like me, Sysko too.

In reality about half the comments made can be addressed by reading the owners manual and the Wiki at the top of the forum page though...
I enjoy offering my 14yrs of stove service knowledge to help someone out. That is what forums are about. I am a member of a forum for most stuff I have. (Grasshopper Mower, Case 580 SL, Honda CR-V which I have 2 ect.) I feel I can contribute to the stove forum and that is my give back for being more of a taker on the others. I do inground pool service and repair, so this time of year gets pretty boring. We all banter back and forth about our preferred brand and model but is all in good fun. Im sure Rx is busy with work considering the pandemic situation right now. I know the stove is not burnt out and running like a champ at this point. And it sounds like she has plenty on her plate in general, Entertaining us old guys on here is just one of them :)

Must be good to go now, no reply.
I didnt forget about you guys. ()
It's just that I work weekends and I was waiting on that blower. Which just got here.
As far as Ssyko's question..
I'm not sure. One day I think it's not backing up anymore. Then the next day I'll look at it and the burn pot is starting to over flow!_g
I have to stir it to keep that from happening. They stay too pellet to fall through to the ash drawer if I dont give them a crunch with the clinker fork.
I'm assuming I shouldnt have to do that normally?

IMG_20210118_170155880.jpg IMG_20210118_170211159.jpg

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up
Still to much fuel for the air supply. Here is mine about 20 hours out from the last time I dropped the clinker. Heat level 1 for the last 6 hours and the other 14 hours was on 2.

Attachments

• IMG_20210119_143449684_MP.jpg
    IMG_20210119_143449684_MP.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 80
;)
I enjoy offering my 14yrs of stove service knowledge to help someone out. That is what forums are about. I am a member of a forum for most stuff I have. (Grasshopper Mower, Case 580 SL, Honda CR-V which I have 2 ect.) I feel I can contribute to the stove forum and that is my give back for being more of a taker on the others. I do inground pool service and repair, so this time of year gets pretty boring. We all banter back and forth about our preferred brand and model but is all in good fun. Im sure Rx is busy with work considering the pandemic situation right now. I know the stove is not burnt out and running like a champ at this point. And it sounds like she has plenty on her plate in general, Entertaining us old guys on here is just one of them :)
You guys are saving me from freezing!! Or having to give up on this stove and start over several hundred in the hole.

I was actually thinking you guys might want a break from my dumb questions! So I waited for the convection fan to get here. And yes, I work more or less every weekend.
Since I dont have a life anymore, what do I need Saturdays off for? :confused:

Still to much fuel for the air supply. Here is mine about 20 hours out from the last time I dropped the clinker. Heat level 1 for the last 6 hours and the other 14 hours was on 2.
Yeah, this one only last a couple hours, at best, before I have to stir it down.
We're going to see how much tar n feathers is coming out as soon as it's cool enough to dig into.
Should I just pull the exhaust fan first and see what it looks like?
Ssyko, what do you think? Or does it matter?

She said she works in a nursing home somewhere. I believe full time however.
You were both close. Nursing home in Milford (usually weekends) and the hospital in Wahoo.
Remember when David Letterman did his top 10 list way back when? There for a while in the 90's I think, he would say they were out of Wahoo, Nebraska?

Well, and I was hoping to get in a nap this afternoon.
Make sure the bearings are oiled before you install it. A little light machine oil (3-1) won't hurt anything.