How to clean an Englander 24-JC/sweep the flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
All the chimney sweeps I'm finding are telling me that I just need a stainless liner, it does not need to be insulated, on the phone. This last one I reference the building code, and he explained that the masonry on almost all chimneys are 8 inches thick, and therefor insulation is not necessary.

I thought they would all be telling me it should be insulated so they could get paid to install it.

I have no clue how to tell if anyone knows what they are actually talking about, and even less of an idea of how to find that person in the first place. There are only a few chimney sweeps in my area and they all seem to agree that insulation is not necessary in most installations.
The problem is if a few start installing without insulation they will be far cheaper than those doing it right. That means they get the jobs and those doing it right don't. I am sure there is someone doing it right bit I don't know how you would find them. I would try asking around. I provided the applicable code it doesn't say anything about insulation not being needed if the chimney is 8" thick. And most are not that thick anyway

The problem is if a few start installing without insulation they will be far cheaper than those doing it right. That means they get the jobs and those doing it right don't. I am sure there is someone doing it right bit I don't know how you would find them. I would try asking around. I provided the applicable code it doesn't say anything about insulation not being needed if the chimney is 8" thick. And most are not that thick anyway

Yeah but I've already got the non-insulated, and I'm expressing interest in having an insulated liner. They could make money from me if they want to do things right, and I'm asking them how I'm supposed to be doing things right, and they're saying its already right.

Doesn't exception 3 to R1003.18 state that if there is 8 inches of masonry between the liner and combustible material, then it meets code?

I'm also only seeing insulation mentioned in this code in reference to clay lined inserts. R1003.12 is the only section that mentions insulation. I guess the insulation must be the fireblocking material mentioned in section R1003.19, that should be used to fill the 2 inch airgap that is required unless any of the exceptions are met, and I think the chimney sweeps I'm talking to besides you believe that exception will likely be met.

Yeah but I've already got the non-insulated, and I'm expressing interest in having an insulated liner. They could make money from me if they want to do things right, and I'm asking them how I'm supposed to be doing things right, and they're saying its already right.

Doesn't exception 3 to R1003.18 state that if there is 8 inches of masonry between the liner and combustible material, then it meets code?

I'm also only seeing insulation mentioned in this code in reference to clay lined inserts. R1003.12 is the only section that mentions insulation. I guess the insulation must be the fireblocking material mentioned in section R1003.19, that should be used to fill the 2 inch airgap that is required unless any of the exceptions are met, and I think the chimney sweeps I'm talking to besides you believe that exception will likely be met.
That exemption only applies to corner trim or sheathing anything the corner

:(:mad: This is so damn confusing.

I'm just going to have a Chimney Sweep come and take a look at it. It looks like this one I found is NCSG certified, insured, and licensed, and does new wood stove installations. I presume he must be aware of code requirements and will be able to confirm if this is up to code during his inspection, but I just left him a message attempting to confirm that.

He seemed to think that insulation was unnecessary as well, but I let him know I don't think this installation was permitted, and I'm interested in correcting that, so hopefully he will be able to steer me in the right direction.