How to clean grease from stove top?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrumpyDad

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2022
Champion, PA
I cooked bacon eggs and toast two days after I got the stove. You know, because I had to show I could to the wife. There may have been a few beers involved and I may have had a really small dinner that night.
I toasted a piece of toast on the griddle and it left a mark. And some grease splattered outside the cast iron skillet. Suggestions ?

PXL_20221217_034945970.jpg

Reactions: Split
Cover with more bacon eggs and toast. I think you’ll have to refinish stove top.
I liked the cast iron steamer kettle but developed a discoloration on stovetop. Trashed kettle, lesson learned still have discoloration

Reactions: TomMcDonald
It’s just like that first little scratch or door ding on a car. It’s sucks! But you know it’s just going to happen again.

While the fire is going; we like hot food, after all...

I have my wood stove in the basement--which is mostly unfinished. I don't care if it gets a bit messed up. There are plenty of signs that the stove is cooked on. I probably cook 2-300 meals a year on it. Like others have said, it is like a badge of honor to have a splatter or two--signs of a meal well cooked!

If the goal is to keep the stove good-looking, avoid things that splatter. We don't fry on the stovetop.
Try alcohol for the painted areas. The griddle can be steel wooled. The top may need a touchup paint in the summer. Use the VC recommended paint for an exact match.

Paint?! On the top of the stove? Madness....
LOL. Most freestanders have completely painted stovetops. Some are enameled. A few, like VC have a brushed griddle top.

I like to see an old post resurrected, especially when I didnt see the responses to begin with :)

I havent tried to do anything. The griddle looks exactly the same as does the grease splatters. I rubbed some ash into the one grease spot, and brushed it away. Now I have an ash spot that wont go away.

I like the responses here like, hey that's a scar...an experience.. It's cool, but I would like to restore the look and avoid what is there now. Not that I keep my stove pristine, it's pretty dirty while I work in this area building it out as it's a new expansion and I work slow...

I used to brown hamburger on stove top for chili. No matter how careful, there was always some spatter onto the steel.

All I used was a dry paper towel to remove as much as I could (after stove cooled). Maybe a cloth rag once it first happened. Other than that, I do not ever remember seeing those splatter marks again. Hope this helps.

p.s. don't lick the stove while it's hot. Tom's messing with you!! ;)