How to deal with HUGE logs.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jeff_t said:
mhrischuk said:
I picked up a Dolmar 7900 that looks like it has never been used for $500 about 1/2 hour ago. Think I'll go play.

Nice. HD air filter too. Now go buy a 32" bar.

The manual says the max is 28". I guess people do it anyway? The moderators on here may not like that.

Funny thing. The chain was on backwards. I noticed it right before I went to use it. Flipped it over and went to town. This saw puts my Stihl 260 to shame. The 260 is now my backup saw.

Yea that was english ivy. Doesn't matter. I never had a problem with poison ivy. I can sleep in in it. Just one of the lucky ones I guess.

where on earth do they still make trees that big? Thats a nice load of heat.

mhrischuk said:
...The manual says the max is 28". I guess people do it anyway? The moderators on here may not like that.

This moderator doesn't give a rat's patootie what size bar you put on your saw. :smirk:

fossil said:
mhrischuk said:
...The manual says the max is 28". I guess people do it anyway? The moderators on here may not like that.

This moderator doesn't give a rat's patootie what size bar you put on your saw. :smirk:

Rick for moderator of the year! :coolsmirk:

mhrischuk said:
The manual says the max is 28". I guess people do it anyway? The moderators on here may not like that.

Hmm, my manual and the Dolmar website says max is 32". This is true even for the 6400.

Many say that the 7900 has the power to pull a 36-incher just fine, but it is limited to 32 by the oiler's output. I run a 24 and 32 on mine.

wendell said:
mhrischuk said:
Oh boy... shopping again.

I was thinking about a Husky

It looks like a 390 would serve you well.

MS390 is a good saw but I don't think it's going to be much fun in wood that size. MS361/362 is a minimum but I would think he'd be better off in the 400 series.

Edit: oops, I see now that he's already gone and solved his problem.

The same guy that sold me the 7900 has an equally new Husky Pro 390XP for $700. Seems like a good price too?

Here are a couple of screen grabs from the 7900 manual. I see no mention anywhere of being able to use a bar longer than 28".

Attachments

• Parts1.jpg
    Parts1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 354
  • Parts2.jpg
    Parts2.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 341
mhrischuk said:
The same guy that sold me the 7900 has an equally new Husky Pro 390XP for $700. Seems like a good price too.

That's a very good deal.

6-7 months back I looked at a new Husky 390XP.Set up the way I wanted it with full wrap handlebar & other things it was $1300 with local sales tax.Finally found a very strong running 288XPW on Ebay Buy It Now in early June. Even with a new 28" b/c,new HP air filter system & other goodies added it still was less than 1/2 the cost of a new saw.The 288's same displacement & HP as the newer 390 with higher RPM's,only difference is less plastic & weighs about a pound more.The older saws have the '7th mount' anti-vibe/stiffening spring which makes the saw more rigid when running longer bars,new saws dont have that anymore.

On my way home through the backroads of Devon, PA, I saw what must've been a 150 year old tree felled right off the side of the road. Easy access. It's trunk must've had a 6' diameter. It's one of the largest trees I've ever seen laying on it's side.

Just saying - up here at least, such large trees do exist. Neighbor of my inlaws has a 125 year old black oak that he was offered $10k for (including removal) just for people to take veneers out of it. I'm guessing 9' diameter base. Straight as an arrow.

mhrischuk said:
I got a load of huge ash logs and a little saw. I can move them around fine with my tractor but I'm not sure how to get them down to splitting size.

I realize this is crazy talk, but, you could procure a man's saw, eh?

Too crazy?

mhrischuk said:
Joe look at the pictures. That pile of split wood was delivered last night at 10:00 pm under lights. It's a bout a year and a half seasoned oak. The splits are small .. it looks good and dry. Another cord coming soon. All the logs are for following years.

I picked up a Dolmar 7900 that looks like it has never been used for $500 about 1/2 hour ago. Think I'll go play.

Way to step up. Ignore my previous snide comment.

mhrischuk said:
jeff_t said:
mhrischuk said:

Nice. HD air filter too. Now go buy a 32" bar.

It's a 78+ cc saw. It'll run a 32"-36" bar just fine.

Just FYI - a 28" bar is plenty for those logs.

I was out shopping for a bigger bar. Everybody is out of stock and Oregon is backordered till Oct 19

mhrischuk said:
I was out shopping for a bigger bar. Everybody is out of stock and Oregon is backordered till Oct 19

I've got a 28" Windsor from Bailey's on mine. I actually really like it. It's just a little bit nose heavy. If you decide to go that route, don't buy a 93 link chain like the catalog says. They're too long and you'll run out of adjustment. I've got two chains I need to have a drive link taken out of.

mhrischuk said:

This might help you - Received my 28" Power Match Plus via FedEx Ground 2 days ago - same bar as this one.$69.95. If you order $100 or more worth of stuff,its FREE shipping.Matching Full Chisel chain is $21.95,Skip Tooth is a buck more. Only 2 day shipping to me from their store in Indianapolis Indiana.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=239&item=676

Thanks but too late. I finally found everything I needed at the Arborist Supply in West Chester , Pa.
They carry Husky saws. The Husky bars are the same as Dolmar... the last four digits of the bar are D009 so a fellow told me. Bigg_Redd I took your advice. I decided on the 28" because I really don't expect to need anything larger any time soon. For all I know I may never get logs this big again. The Husky bars are made by Oregon... but about $30 cheaper at least at the local shops.

BTW for some reason Dolmar calls out .058 chain. This new 28" bar is .058 but the 20" bar that came with the saw was an .050

0001.jpg

Nice looking combo :smirk:

I bought mine when I got into some 4'+ red oaks a few years ago. I haven't needed it since, but it's nice to know I have. I leave it on all the time, and run a 16" on my other saw.

Found some nails close to the center of a 24" beech round while splitting it.

Sad mhrischuk, but not all that uncommon.

I'd love to know where to get a black powder log splitter. I'd be happy with a drawing or picture so I could turn on out on the lathe.

Can anyone help out?

Drill hole. Pour in blackpowder. Light on fire and run away very quickly.

Or at least that's how my redneck "hey watch this!" mind thinks it should work. =P

A tad more seriously, they used to split slabs of granite during the winter by drilling holes, filling them with water, and then letting them freeze. When the water froze and expanded, it split the granite. Would probably work for wood, or at least be interesting.

~Rose

Right on, Rose! Black powder log splitting has been a YouTube sensation for years.

"Here, hold muh beer while I light this."

Status
Not open for further replies.