How to deal with HUGE logs.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I played with black powder as a kid. I had the coolest Dad. Anyway, just pouring it in will only create a moderately paced flash of light and some yawns. It has to be packed. A few years ago on the fourth of July I decided to show my nephews how it's down. I put a couple of tablespoons of pyrodex in a plastic soda bottle and poke a hole in it for the fuse. I set it on the top of my log pile and manage to blow about 10 splits all over the yard.

mhrischuk said:
Found some nails close to the center of a 24" beech round while splitting it.

Not much of a surprise, I run into them pretty often. Watch out for metal where I put the red circles, the stains are from metal.

Attachments

• 0008.jpg
    0008.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 299
Reactions: jaychino415
Thanks all.

Fortunately I didn't hit them with the saw. I found them while splitting. No damage to the splitter :)

Found some nails close to the center of a 24" beech round while splitting it.

I was clearing out a small area for a friends mother a few years back. When bucking one of the trees I cut through what I later realized was a 45 caliber round nose lead bullet. It was about 2" from the center of a 18" diameter tree.

Found nails before too......and barbed wire remnants.

36" on average, one is over 50" but it's oval with the narrow part around 36"

I have a stihl 260 18"

Been there. My 260 has gone thru some big stuff. Cut one side, other side, turn with tractor and get rest, then manhandle with the tractor until the middle breaks. My 360 is much better at the big stuff, but I did get thru it with the little one for a few years.

Retune that 7900 a bit on the plus side at wide open so you do not fry it and run a tad heavy on the mix as well. Don't forget to crank the oiler all the way up on the 28" , 058 gets less stretch vs.050 3/8. both my 7900 and 6400's were set up for .050. I will be changing that over to.058 this season.

Well, at post #54 you essentially began a new thread/conversation. The first 53 posts are from September 2011.

==c

Still worth the read, like listening to an old song on the radio

If'n ya still needs help, me and da boys be right over wit da M-10. Dat'll bust he up all right!;lolDSC_0116_crop.jpg t!

Status
Not open for further replies.