How to extend exterior triple wall chimney stove pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jon Curl

Mar 8, 2019
Midland, MI
Hi everyone. My family just moved to Michigan after 20+ years in Los Angeles, CA and we're having an issue in our new home with our wood burning stove chimney height being a little too short. Luckily I went on the roof and cleaned the downstairs stove's chimney before a big storm knocked out power and we were able to use it for heat during that time. However, when it snows heavy the snow and ice can collect between the exterior metal stove pipe chimney and our brick chimney stack, restricting and clogging the cap. After a big snow storm I tired using the stove again and it backed up inside the house setting off the smoke and co2 alarms! Being at the same level as the brick, the metal chimney also causes soot to collect on the brick. I've included some photos of the scenario.

I would like to extend the existing 8 inch triple wall exterior stove pipe chimney and install a new stainless cap. I know I can fit a piece of slip in single wall 8 inch round x 12 in. long stove pipe and new cap, but I'm afraid water will then collect inside the triple wall pipe. Our existing cap has a skirt that covers the triple wall openings, but I can't seem to find a similar cap. Even if I did, single wall would still leave the openings exposed. Furthermore, I don't think having a single wall stove pipe extension is code on a roof? I can't seem to find any triple wall extensions to get this done.
Does anybody here know the proper way to extend this 8 inch exterior chimney about a foot and where I can find the appropriate parts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Chimney1.jpg
    Chimney1.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 1,015
  • Chimney2.jpg
    Chimney2.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,144
  • ChimneyCap1.jpg
    ChimneyCap1.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 573
That’s some old pipe. It’s only rated for 1700 degrees most likely, the current standard is 2100 degrees. @sticks would be able to identify the brand I bet.

Yeah it's old. I wasn't aware of the heat ratings, thanks. I'm sure the EPDM rubber roofing wrapped around it isn't good either! I was thinking maybe the pipe is older Duravent, but I can't even find any new production Class A Duravent products to connect together. Is it not possible to extend any Class A pipe? It doesn't appear to have a twist-lock mechanism anywhere, just a single dimpled ring. I'm hoping to fix this scenario myself, as we're pretty strapped for cash after the move, but I just don't know enough. I haven't even seen winter in 20+ years! Hoping someone here will have experience with this type of situation.

I just saw that the National Fire Protection Association Standard #211 states: “Chimneys shall extend at least three feet above the highest point where it passes through the roof of a building, and at least two feet higher than any portion of a building within ten feet.” So, I'm going to need a 24" section, not 12".

Is it wrapped with asbestos blanket?

The base flashing is pretty badly done.

You must mean around the brick chimney? I agree. I can't even see the flashing on the Class A, as it's under EPDM. I think the whole brick chimney needs to able cleaned, mortar tucked/repaired, and sealed in the spring. Probably just going to leave the base flashing alone though.

Lots of problems. What about some solutions, guys?

If its temporary, can you get another triple wall cap like you have, cut the top part off leaving the collar section. Use that to cover the existing triple wall and then insert the single wall extension inside and screw in 3 places. Seal the joint with hi temp silicone. Put new 8" cap on and secure this fabrication to the existing triple section protrusion on your roof?

That EPDM cant touch the pipe like it does now. Right?

The proper way to fix this is to remove the current pipe, not extend it. Replace it with a good class A pipe and flat roof flashing. If this is for a wood stove and only 6" ID class A chimney is required, consider that as the replacement chimney pipe.

That's actually a really good temporary solution to get us through the rest of the season. Thank you very much!

I just went up again today to take a look and things and not only is there creosote collecting on the brick, which is only a few inches away, the creosote build up on the cap and flue is pretty bad for burning well seasoned wood. I think that old triple wall air cooled pipe may be cooling things a little too well? As begreen said, it looks like the only proper fix is to replace the whole chimney with new class A. This chimney is for a MALM Imperial Carousel which requires 8 inch ID pipe per manufacturer instructions. It's actually very efficient for a 1960's fireplace and I'm not going to replace it with a newer unit or convert it to gas. I've included a pic. It's a groovy unit and the fire swirls as it burns, but the drywall ceiling that close is NOT code. I'm not sure what to do about that??? Above the drywall it actually goes in to a ceiling support, then through a portion of the brick chimney stack.

I'd like to actually re-do the entire chimney run myself with new ClassA S6210 or S627 rated pipe with stainless outside. The problem is that I don't know if I can re-use the existing ceiling support and just retrofit newer pipe. I'm a DIY kinda guy, but have no experience with chimneys. Do you think I should replace the entire chimney myself? If not do you know anyone reputable in the Midland, MI I could hire? I work with germanium transistors which require room temp. to function properly and this is currently the only way to get my office up to room temp in the winter.

What would you do if you had this in your house?

Attachments

• MALM Imperial Carousel.jpg
    MALM Imperial Carousel.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 869
That's actually a really good temporary solution to get us through the rest of the season. Thank you very much!

I just went up again today to take a look and things and not only is there creosote collecting on the brick, which is only a few inches away, the creosote build up on the cap and flue is pretty bad for burning well seasoned wood. I think that old triple wall air cooled pipe may be cooling things a little too well? As begreen said, it looks like the only proper fix is to replace the whole chimney with new class A. This chimney is for a MALM Imperial Carousel which requires 8 inch ID pipe per manufacturer instructions. It's actually very efficient for a 1960's fireplace and I'm not going to replace it with a newer unit or convert it to gas. I've included a pic. It's a groovy unit and the fire swirls as it burns, but the drywall ceiling that close is NOT code. I'm not sure what to do about that??? Above the drywall it actually goes in to a ceiling support, then through a portion of the brick chimney stack.

I'd like to actually re-do the entire chimney run myself with new ClassA S6210 or S627 rated pipe with stainless outside. The problem is that I don't know if I can re-use the existing ceiling support and just retrofit newer pipe. I'm a DIY kinda guy, but have no experience with chimneys. Do you think I should replace the entire chimney myself? If not do you know anyone reputable in the Midland, MI I could hire? I work with germanium transistors which require room temp. to function properly and this is currently the only way to get my office up to room temp in the winter.

What would you do if you had this in your house?

I'd keep it.
You need 36 inches clearance unless you have a heat shield. Does the fireplace top have a heat shield built in?
"HOW FAR SHOULD A WOOD STOVE BE FROM AN UNPROTECTED WALL OR COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL?
The standard clearance for appliances installed in rooms which are large in comparison to the size of the appliance is 36 inches from the top, sizes, back or front of the appliance. Otherwise, install according to the manufacturer's instructions."

http://nasdonline.org/1248/d001052/wood-stove-installation-and-operation.html

https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/blog/clearances_to_combustible_materials/

I'd keep it.
You need 36 inches clearance unless you have a heat shield. Does the fireplace top have a heat shield built in?
"HOW FAR SHOULD A WOOD STOVE BE FROM AN UNPROTECTED WALL OR COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL?
The standard clearance for appliances installed in rooms which are large in comparison to the size of the appliance is 36 inches from the top, sizes, back or front of the appliance. Otherwise, install according to the manufacturer's instructions."

http://nasdonline.org/1248/d001052/wood-stove-installation-and-operation.html
Ok, thanks. It's a wacky unit. I like it and want to keep it, but need to make sure it's safe. I think it does have what qualifies as a heat shield of sorts because they still manufacture the same unit in CA and the current factory instructions require only 24" clearance.

That is a pretty slick fireplace. I love the 1960's feel of it.

Paging @bholler on the chimney questions, but I'm hoping he doesn't tell you that rig has to go!

Reactions: Jon Curl
Jon, hello!

I'm gathering any info I can find on this stove, and I'm very curious as to how you've since fared?

We are a Michigander and Chicagoan pair now living in Upstate New York, and I'm rather obsessed with the Malm Imperial Carousel wood burning stoves/fireplaces. We're needing a freestanding wood-burning fireplace feature, and it's going right in the middle of essentially two living rooms; open on all sides is so very ideal. (At minimum open on two sides, a la "see-through"...)

While we do have baseboard heating and were comfy with that last winter, it was a wild bill every month (as we're in a traditional full-log cabin, etc.). We'd like to augment that with the fire feature we get, but our opinions differ on how efficient it needs to be; I'm aesthetic driven and he's all about function.

We at least both agree that whatever we install can't have us LOSING heat in any way, and hopefully augment/provide heat, too.

I'm trying to make the case that they're at least more efficient than a fireplace to heat our open-plan log cabin, even if I know I'm sacrificing an amount of efficiency than if I was to go with something newer and/or more enclosed?

Anyhow, wondering your new thoughts / experience since your post in January!

Many thanks, and Happy Fall/Winter...

Annie & Danny

Jon, hello!
Hi Annie,

Jon hasn't been seen on this forum since March, so you may do well to PM him, as well. Depending on his email notification settings, this may be more likely to give him an email notification, than a post to this thread alone.