How to Identify which thermostat wire is for which zone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Koko

Dec 6, 2010
Dudley, MA
Hello,

Based on this forum, I purchased a Thermguard. Installation is simple as can be. I would like to wire this in the basement as other forum members have. My problem is that I have two zones of heat for the first and second floor. I need the thermguard for the first floor zone.

I need help identifying which brown thermostat wire is for which zone. I have a multimeter, I just have no idea what setting to use to test. I've only used this tool to test wires in a vehicle that go hot when the key is turned on.

If you have another method please let me know!

Thanks!

Set the multimeter to "Continuity."
1573306479562.png

The symbol is shown. At one end, twist two wires together.
At the other end put your probes on what you think are the correct wires.
Your meter will tell you if you are on the right ones.

An alternative way would be to turn up the first floor thermostat all the way and keep the other one off. Go to the basement 10 minutes later and feel for the hot pipe.