How to level an insert that is angled down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SeanG

Feb 25, 2015
Charlottesville, VA
Hi all,

I have a Century Heating CW2900-I and I want to raise the front of the stove because it's not sitting level in my fireplace. I am hoping there is something at the local hardware store that I can buy off the shelf to raise the front about an inch. Of course I want it to be rock solid from a stability stand point. There are leveling bolts on both sides of the unit to balance on the horizontal plane but nothing to level it on the vertical plane.

This wouldn't bother me so much except that the liner doesn't sit as flush as I would like it too. If I can raise the front of the stove the liner would sit 100% flush compared to 50% flush. I have sealed it with All Blacks or something that was recommended here but I can't remember the name of right now, but I would love to have it sit flush. I could get on the roof and remove the sealant from the top plate etc... to fix the problem but if I don't have to I'd prefer not to.

Thanks and I look forward to you thoughts.

Sean

I'm not familiar with your particular insert, but your leveling bolts, should work in BOTH planes, side to side & front to back.
If they are fully extended, that's another situation. If you need a FULL inch, a couple of strips of Durock, 4" wide
x the width of the firebox should work. It ,may be a major effort to get the unit high enough to SAFELY hold it
in position until you fit the strips underneath, but it should do what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on checking your leveling bolts. Since the bolts are on the back quarter or third of the insert, you can also level it out front to back. If the back end of the insert is in the air, turn both bolts the same number of rotations and you'll have it level on both axes (assuming it's currently level side-to-side). If there's not enough bolt to turn, then fire brick may be your answer as bholler said.

Thanks guys. I will measure the height I need to raise the front and purchase the right size bricks. The bolts are on the side and such a pain in the ass to adjust because of the lack of clearance in the fireplace that the firebrick idea sounds like the most efficient solution.