How to meet a flush mount hearth with flooring?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hass

Minister of Fire
Mar 20, 2011
Alabama, NY
I have my hearth installed, 5/8" thick.
I have to install my flooring yet... which will also be 5/8" thick. I grabbed a sample piece and it meets up perfectly... One thing on my project actually worked out as intended.
I'm only putting down a vapor barrier under the floor, so that will only add a few mil thickness.

My question is... How did you guys that do a flush installation, have it meet up with your floor?
I went digging through pictures, but I'm not really seeing how it's done.

I was thinking of just leaving a 1/4" gap all the way around the hearth, then using some of that fake grout in a tube stuff in the gap. How did you guys do it?

Since the walls in my house are in no way square, and absolutely out of plumb and everything else... I'm going to square the wood flooring off the hearth. I figure it will be less noticeable on the walls, but very noticeable if it's way off in comparison to the hearth grout lines if I square it off of a wall.

The way I have seen it done typically is with flooring stock forming a picture frame with mitered corners surrounding the three sides of the hearth. The rest of the flooring butts up to this picture frame. An 1/8" expansion joint is fine. It can be filled with a flexible caulk.

BeGreen said:
The way I have seen it done typically is with flooring stock forming a picture frame with mitered corners surrounding the three sides of the hearth. The rest of the flooring butts up to this picture frame. An 1/8" expansion joint is fine. It can be filled with a flexible caulk.

+1. Picture frame it with flooring. Run the first piece thru your table
saw to remove the tongue from the side towards the front of hearth.

I've heard of folks using cork instead of caulk for filling the expansion joint. Sounded like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.