How to open this pellet stove vent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hi guys! New home and we have a nice old Quadra Fire Classic Bay pellet stove. I want to open up the vent from the outside to just give it a quick sweep.

Any idea how to take the vent end off? I tried twisting and pulling and actually ended up pulling the entire flue out of the wall! I secured it inside and used high temp caulk, but don't want to rip it out again.

Appreciate the advice!

Ps: I have a Soot Eater for my wood stove insert - the model says it can be used for flues 5" to 9". I believe the pellet stove has a 3" flue... But it looks as though it'd fit. Do you think I can use it in the pellet flue too?

Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_20200815_214741_813.jpg
    IMG_20200815_214741_813.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 147
Snapped a few more pics

Attachments

• 20200815_233200.jpg
    20200815_233200.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 20200815_233151.jpg
    20200815_233151.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 122
Your soot eater will work but that is a candidate for the
leaf blower trick
Search for it in this thread
Someone will probably give you a link

You might need a couple of strap wrenches to undo that cap from the horizontal section.
Should be a "Lefty Loosey" connection..
One wrench to hold the horizontal. One wrench .to spin the cap off.
Make sure there are no screws holding the cap on...

Your soot eater will work but that is a candidate for the
leaf blower trick
Search for it in this thread
Someone will probably give you a link

Haha I had read about this and was wondering if it was legit... I have 2 blowers and sadly both don't have a suction feature. Bummer!

You might need a couple of strap wrenches to undo that cap from the horizontal section.
Should be a "Lefty Loosey" connection..
One wrench to hold the horizontal. One wrench .to spin the cap off.
Make sure there are no screws holding the cap on...

I tried this earlier and ended up spinning the entire pipe and breaking the caulk seal at the stove. I'll try again today. Thanks!

***I tried this earlier and ended up spinning the entire pipe and breaking the caulk seal at the stove. I'll try again today. Thanks! ***

Probably gonna need another body to hold one of the wrenches. That connection can be very tight, as you well know...

Ha, so I got the end cap off, but not without some damage!

Snapped one of my strap wrenches (kobalt has lifetime warranty luckily!) and finally just used a rubber mallet to wack it off.

The galvanized steel is totally rusted inside and I dinged up the double wall flue in the process...

How long do galvanized pellet stove exhausts typically last? This one is 10 years old so I figure I'll just replace the entire exhaust.

Ordered exact replacement pieces for about a hundred bucks. Not so bad!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Reactions: johneh and DAKSY
Do yourself a favor when you reassemble the pipe, put some nickel antiseize on the joints.

That is the exact plan buddy I have some automotive silver anti seize I'll definitely be using!

Thanks!