How to price logs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
is there any generic method for estimating a log in terms of a cord value?

Like, an 10" log 8 feet long = 1/4 cord.

I've often wondered the same thing. will be waiting for some of the old sages to chime in. i would like to find someone that sold log length there in my area. just can't seem to find them.

Real rough way, treat that log itself as a cut, split and stacked piece of wood and add it up into a cube that equals a cord.

Simple example, 4 logs that are 8 feet long and 24" in diameter can be estimated to be a cord, side by side they are 4' and stacked they are also 4'.

Your 10" log, 8' long. laid side by side you will need about 5 to get 4'. (Really 50" but we are estimating here.) Times 5 rows tall to make it 4' high or 25 logs in total. So your log is about 1/25 of a cord.

Last edited:
length height width cu ft
8 2 2 =32 * 4 = 128

so if you would need 4 of these logs to get to 128 cu. ft.

This would get old with many different size logs, but might be the easiest way.

Reactions: paul bunion
There was a pretty accurate formula on that "other web site". I used it with my first grapple load and it was only off a 1/2 a cord.

Number of standard cords = [length (feet) x width (feet) x height (feet)]
ExampleTake a stack of wood that is 10 feet long, 6 feet wide and 3 feet high. Substituting these figures into the formula we get:

Number of cords = (10 x 6 x 3)
128 180
128 = 1.406 cords

Or:

Measure the length of the log in inches.

Measure the diameter of the log in inches, which is the distance across the center of the log.

Divide the diameter by 2 to compute the radius. As an example, a log with a diameter of 8 inches would have a radius of 4 inches.

Square the radius and multiply that figure by pi, or 3.14, and the length to calculate the volume in cubic inches. Continuing the example above, if the length is 16 inches, then you would multiply 4 inches by 4 inches; then multiply that figure by 3.14 and then by 16 inches. This results in a volume of 804 cubic inches.

Divide cubic inches by 1,728 to convert to cubic feet. In the example, 804 divided by 1,728 results in a volume of 0.465 cubic feet.
Or:

http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/calculators/calc.pl?calculator=log_volume

That calculator is for board feet.

Backwoods Savage has it right. The volume of a cylinder (log) is

download.jpg

Or in English, without the ability to type symbols, Volume = Pi (3.142) times the radius squared (the radius times its self, not times 2) times h (height)... If your measurements are in inches, take your answer, which will be in cubic inches and divide it by 1728 to get total volume in cubic feet....

Another example would be...

a 16' log that is 24" across (diameter) the volume of the log would be figured as Pi x radius squared (12 inches squared =144) x 192 (16' x 12).... or...

3.142 x 144 x 192 = rounding off to the nearest whole number 86,870 cubic inches divided by 1728 = 50.27 cubic feet

Keeping in mind that a cord is a "stack" of wood of 128 cubic feet, and the above log is a solid 50 cubic feet.... so, 50/128 = .39 a bit more that a third of a cord.. more depending on how you stack it

Reactions: Applesister
Reactions: ErikR

View attachment 123266

Or in English, without the ability to type symbols, Volume = Pi (3.142) times the radius squared (the radius times its self, not times 2) times h (height)... If your measurements are in inches, take your answer, which will be in cubic inches and divide it by 1728 to get total volume in cubic feet....

a 16' log that is 24" across (diameter) the volume of the log would be figured as Pi x radius squared (12 inches squared =144) x 192 (16' x 12).... or...

3.142 x 144 x 192 = rounding off to the nearest whole number 86,870 cubic inches divided by 1728 = 50.27 cubic feet

Keeping in mind that a cord is a "stack" of wood of 128 cubic feet, and the above log is a solid 50 cubic feet.... so, 50/128 = .39 a bit more that a third of a cord.. more depending on how you stack it

My method, treating a round log as a square and stacking them 4' wide and 4' high allows for the air space that is in the stacked cord of split wood. Obviously only an estimation, and we are also estimating the average diameter on top of that. It all depends on how tight or loose you stack it, but it gets me pretty close. I would have called your example a half cord. Not much more than what you calculated with some air space added back into it. I think it is a little easier for a quick estimate.

My method, treating a round log as a square and stacking them 4' wide and 4' high allows for the air space that is in the stacked cord of split wood. Obviously only an estimation, and we are also estimating the average diameter on top of that. It all depends on how tight or loose you stack it, but it gets me pretty close. I would have called your example a half cord. Not much more than what you calculated with some air space added back into it. I think it is a little easier for a quick estimate.

You are correct. The math works out the true solid amount of wood... how a person stacks it determines the final volume

View attachment 123266

Thanks. This will do it. I have an offer of 2 full cords hardwood in log form for $250. All depends if it really = 2 full cords. That's 1/2 price of the rate here for C/S, but I still think its high, will try to talk them down.

I saw a guy on cl that is selling 30 yard loads of hardwood logs. think they are 18' long. he says it comes out to be about 6.5 cords. $450, delivered. what do you guys think?

I saw a guy on cl that is selling 30 yard loads of hardwood logs. think they are 18' long. he says it comes out to be about 6.5 cords. $450, delivered. what do you guys think?
300 cubic yards would be 810 cubic feet ( by solid volume )
810/128=6.3 - again, that's a complete solid, if the dump is piled fairly high above the gunwales you might get 6.5
that works out to $75/cord , which, as long as it's not poplar is not too bad dumped in your driveway
I wouldn't want to pay more than that.
A few guys advertising log loads here right now want $125/cord and deliver one cord at a time on a landscaping trailer.
I don't think so. With the cold weather maybe they are getting it, not from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.