How to remove spark arrestor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dvflyer

Oct 29, 2020
San Diego
Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the correct section for my question.

We removed our firebox and would like our flu capped and sealed against water, bugs etc. Unfortunately, while removing the firebox, we inadvertently lifted the flu and it now shows above the cap of the chimney. Not sure if this causes a problem with getting it sealed.

Called two chimney companies in our area and one said he couldn't do it and the other said we needed a handyman. The handyman we called said we needed a chimney guy.

Figure I'll do it myself. The current plan is to remove the spark arrestor and have a cap fabricated. We'll know more once we get the spark arrestor off.

Only problem is I have no idea how to take it off. Was hoping someone here could help with that.

Thanks for any advice.

50522401032_9b43a3a14c_c.jpg

50522401322_2dfa3064ca_c.jpg

Do you know what brand of vent pipe you have?
Most caps are a simple twist-lock variety, but many are also held onto the venting with screws.
With help, you should be able to lift the cap far enough to see what holds it in place.
If it's accessible from below, where it was detached from the fire box, you may be able to
have someone lift it & even support it after it's been lifted. Sometimes that support can be as simple
as a 2x4 between the chimney chase framing members. Plumber's strapping can also be used,
screwed to both the venting & the chase frame. once that cap is off, the rest of the venting can
be lowered & removed one section at a time...Edges can be sharp, make sure to wear good leather work gloves.

Thanks for the quick reply and information.

I do not know the brand. It was a gas log firebox. The flu had two pipes. An inner pipe and an outer pipe. Inner was about 8" and outer was a couple inches larger. Unfortunately, we closed up the wall already.

After we cut the pipe from the firebox, we secured the pipes by screwing them into a couple 2x4's attached to the framing and then built a table for it to rest on for more support in the event it drops at all. Then we closed up the wall figuring that was easier than trying to remove the pipes and also may save someone in the future from having to run the whole thing up again.

It wasn't until the next day we realized how far up we pushed the pipe.

Now I just have to rent a ladder or lift and get up there to see. Let's hope it's a twist off. :)

Thanks again.

pic of support we built that shows the pipes

50511273047_47a684d957_c.jpg

You should have come to this forum first, but that's water over the dam.
Those vent pipes will NEVER be reused. Newer wood burning fire place
use different pipes that are generally brand specific. If you screwed that
venting to the framing members, you are probably not going to be able
to lift the venting any higher than it is. You will probably have to cut the
four "legs" in order to remove the surrounding metal & access any fasteners...
Good luck with your project, & be safe.

You should have come to this forum first, but that's water over the dam.

Agreed. :)

Those vent pipes will NEVER be reused. Newer wood burning fire place
use different pipes that are generally brand specific. If you screwed that
venting to the framing members, you are probably not going to be able
to lift the venting any higher than it is. You will probably have to cut the
four "legs" in order to remove the surrounding metal & access any fasteners...
Good luck with your project, & be safe.

Thanks again for the help.

Edit: Noticed you're with PGR. Made a small donation in appreciation of your service there and help here.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 7.43.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 7.43.19 AM.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Reactions: DAKSY