How to replace door window in Pacific Energy Alderlea T -4

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Carolina Guy

Oct 17, 2020
North Carolina
Hey all=

I installed my T 4 myself 11 years ago and have been using it as my source of heat in my home every winter since. I clean and inspect the chimney every year prior to each seasons start up. Last night was chilly enough to light a small fire so I did. And I discovered a crack in the door glass that runs roughly from the upper left glass clip ( hardware that holds the glass in place ) toward the center of the glass- crack about 6 inches long. I do not remember seeing it there last year so I am assuming it happened on firing up this year? I have several questions.

- I am assuming that I need to replace the glass for safety sake even though this is only a crack ?

- What would have caused the glass to crack now after 11 seasons of use with no cracking ? Anything I need to check on the stove?

_ I found a company online that sells " pyroceram " ceramic glass cut to order online - has anyone here used this product and can endorse it?

- Do I have to remove the door in order to replace the glass ? If so how? I looked online and in my owners manual and see no information as to how to get the door off .

- I know there is a gasket in there, I assume in between the glass and the door metal itself- is there supposed to be any gasket " cement " between the door and glass ?

Any information or help is appreciated- I am a fairly handy individual but have never tackled a job exactly like this one and there seems to be little to no information on my model. Thank you in advance.
P1000691 (1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer. The glass most likely got knocked with a tool or maybe a log. I have read that the Alderlea uses NeoCeram glass. NeoCeram is 1/16" thicker than PyroCeram. The gasket is has self-stick adhesive. You can either order the glass by dimension from a good glass shop (give them your old glass as a template) or order online. This shop sells the proper replacement, but it is expensive.

An alternative online source with a good reputation is www.onedayglass.com. You can order online supplying the dimensions or trace the outline of the glass on a large piece of paper and send it to them. Specify neoceram when ordering and ask about getting it gasketed.

I haven't removed a T4 door. Is there a stop at the bottom or is it free-swinging on the hinges? If there is a stop, it needs to be unbolted. Then the door should lift off the hinge pins. When reinstalling the glass don't tighten the clips too much. They should just compress the gasket.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carolina Guy
I've used https://www.onedayglass.com/ , and was very happy. The PE glass cracked on me one day, and I had the replacements with in a few days.

Best advice... measure 3 times. Ask me how I know this ;em

For gasket replacement, this gem from a few years back came to mind :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 155
This shop sells the proper replacement, but it is expensive
Good lord $315 shipping NOT included !

An alternative online source with a good reputation is www.onedayglass.com. You can order online supplying the dimensions or trace the outline of the glass on a large piece of paper and send it to them. Specify neoceram when ordering and ask about getting it gasketed.

I haven't removed a T4 door. Is there a stop at the bottom or is it free-swinging on the hinges? If there is a stop, it needs to be unbolted. Then the door should lift off the hinge pins

I am going to call one day glass tomorrow. Thanks for the tip about the neoceram and getting it gasketed. I also tried the stop suggestion and yes it lifts off the pins when in the full open position ! thanks - thought I was going to have to disassemble one of the cast iron pieces or something to get the door off.

They will crack for no apparent reason. Ours cracked across the corner, about a 3-4" crack. We ran it that way for a year, but for safety sake it should be replaced. Ours cracked in the middle of summer, & stove hadn't been run in over a month.
We heard it go, like a 22 shot in the house!. Pacific Energy absolutely refused to stand behind it, as they basically accuse you of lying and claiming it will only break by hitting something. I do believe it was due to the retainer clips being too tight. Checked for door warpage, & it was OK. The glass company should have the self-adhesive gasket to sell you with the glass. It could be done with door on, but is much easier to remove the door & do it on a Horizontal surface. I have had the door off several times on the T5, as have had some hinge issues with our unit. Take your time, clean the surfaces well, it is a relatively easy job to replace that glass. Do not buy the glass from PE dealer -- it will be 4x the price of purchasing it from one of the online sources if you do.

Thank you Dix for the 2nd recommendation on one day glass and the link.

You are most welcome.

I second the above comment about a shotgun blast. Said to myself "I have never, ever heard that noise come out of that stove". I was like "Did the baffle drop?" :mad:

You can run the stove on a "low simmer", if you have to, BTW.

Fed ex delivered the glass from one day glass yesterday along with the self adhesive gasket material. I took off the door today and just got done replacing the glass. One thing I did notice was that the self adhesive gasket that one day supplied seemed to be a fair amount thicker than the old glass gasket. As a result I had a bit of trouble getting the bolts that hold the 4 glass holding brackets back in - I got them all in and didn't really tighten any of them what I would call even semi tight - I figure I can always tighten them a bit more if I detect air leakage around the glass but if I over tighten them and the glass breaks, there isn't a whole lot I can do about that except buy another window glass.

I appreciate all you folks help. I made a short video I will try to get posted on you tube sometime soon - hopefully it will be some help to anyone else that finds themselves having to do this job.

Last edited:
Is the gasket "settling" overnight, with the door shut against the stove in the closed position?

That should eliminate the difference.

Is the gasket "settling" overnight, with the door shut against the stove in the closed position?

That should eliminate the difference.
Closing the door will not affect the glass gasket. How thick would you say the new gasket is Carolina Guy?

Ooopsie, thought door gasket, not glass gasket :(;em

Hey all- I am finally getting a series of vids posted on that door glass replacement - its not professional quality vid but hopefully has some information that will help some one sometime. here is a link to the first one - I have no idea how to splice all these various parts together to make one coherent vid so that is why it is done piecemeal.