how to restore chimney cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joann

Hearth Supporter
Jan 21, 2010
nj
I cleaned my chimney today, but was unable to get the black color off of the stainless cap. I know that it is not a big deal, but does anyone know how to restore the silver color back to stainless.

Newbie here who has yet to face this cleaning issue but for years we have used a product called "Dip-It" to clean out hubby's stainless steel lined thermos, burned on marks on the bottom of (copper bottomed and stainless bottomed) pots & pans and 'unknown' marks on our formica counter tops. The gurus here will certainly have other ideas.

Here a link to Dip-It (I use the granular type): http://www.amazon.com/Dip-Food-Beverage-Stain-Remover/dp/B000P9GM58

Shari

Bucket of warm soapy water (dish soap or whatever), small pad of #0000 steel wool. Be gentle. Rick

This is not the best place to get fussy. Learn to live with it or paint the cap black.

I agree with BeGreen. Face the fact that chimney caps are going to be black and live with it. Because it is black does not mean there is anything wrong with it. It is just a part of wood burning.

I would use the stove glass cleaner or brick and fireplace soot cleaner. That said, I have never used anything but a brush on my cap...

Status
Not open for further replies.