How to split locust firewood for the best burn times.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
I measured up my wood piles the other day and this is what I have.

1. 1 cord of 1 year seasoned Oak chunks.
2. 1/3 cord of 5 month seasoned Hickory chunks.
3. 1 cord of 1-3 month seasoned Mulberry.
4 2/3 cord of Hackberry, cherry, maple, and Elm mix. The cherry 2 years and the Elm 3 years are seasoned. I also have a pile of seasoned Oak locust set aside to finish out this year.

I used approx 3 cords of hardwood this brutal winter.

My idea is to insulate a lot this summer and possibly upgrade to a hybrid stove.

A friend from church just offered me some locust trees he would like taken down. So I estimate to possibly double my supply here soon. My question is should I leave the locust splits in big chunks? Burning In a modern epa/ hybrid stove probably 2 years out. Any thoughts given my current supply?

split it to stove size, stack and forget for 1 year

Locust likes a lot of air. I have not had great success with big splits. I would/do tend to split a bit smaller than I do for other hardwood especially if you're going to burn it alone. If you're mixing with other stuff I'd say it's less important. Starting a fire w/ big chunks of locust = <>.

I would cut it so I could still fit some smaller pieces underneath. I did burn some locust chunks before and reloading on hot coals wasn't too difficult.

Locust is one of the hottest burning woods there is, it's so dense and heavy that is a good all nighter wood. I tend to leave my splits as big as possible, they last longer and the fires don't get away on you like using smaller splits. It's a dirty wood to burn and sometimes stinks to high heaven, but the BTU's it throws is well worth it!

To your question, split as big as you and your stove can handle

Craig

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Locust is one of the hottest burning woods there is, it's so dense and heavy that is a good all nighter wood. I tend to leave my splits as big as possible, they last longer and the fires don't get away on you like using smaller splits. It's a dirty wood to burn and sometimes stinks to high heaven, but the BTU's it throws is well worth it!

To your question, split as big as you and your stove can handle

Craig

That's what I like to hear!

Depends when you will need it. Big splits 3 years to dry from green and that might even be optimistic. 4x4 sized likely 2 +, 2x4 1.5-2. varies with your conditions of course.

Depends when you will need it. Big splits 3 years to dry from green and that might even be optimistic. 4x4 sized likely 2 +, 2x4 1.5-2. varies with your conditions of course.

Blades is spot on with his estimates of drying time. So if you have 3 or 4 seasons to wait split as large as your stove can safely handle. And if not, split small and wait 2 seasons before burning. Locust is a beast to get burning on its own. Its best to have a big bed of coals or mix with a couple of flaming pieces of ash or soft maple then its off to the races!

Blades is spot on with his estimates of drying time. So if you have 3 or 4 seasons to wait split as large as your stove can safely handle. And if not, split small and wait 2 seasons before burning. Locust is a beast to get burning on its own. Its best to have a big bed of coals or mix with a couple of flaming pieces of ash or soft maple then its off to the races!

Wow, now Locust takes longer than oak?

I measured up my wood piles the other day and this is what I have.

4 2/3 cord of Hackberry, cherry, maple, and Elm mix. The cherry 2 years and the Elm 3 years are seasoned. I also have a pile of seasoned Oak locust set aside to finish out this year.

Hackberry, eh? The only place I've ever seen hackberry is here on hearth.com in the Wood ID threads. Never seen it around my locale but then again not sure I know exactly what to look for. I'm only 45 mins south of Lancaster so you've got me curious now...:)

Hackberry, eh? The only place I've ever seen hackberry is here on hearth.com in the Wood ID threads. Never seen it around my locale but then again not sure I know exactly what to look for. I'm only 45 mins south of Lancaster so you've got me curious now...:)

I see hackberry all over the place here in Lancaster. You will recognize it by its unusual looking bark. What area do you live in?

I see hackberry all over the place here in Lancaster. You will recognize it by its unusual looking bark. What area do you live in?

Southern Chester County almost at the MD/PA line. Like I said, they may be all around me but I never encountered one on a scrounge so not exactly sure what to look for. Decent firewood?

Reactions: Paulywalnut
I used to be of the bigger split mindset due to longer burn times. With a 2.2 cf firebox I now find that I can't fill the box with as much wood with bigger splits so I actually get less burn time. When loading for an overnight burn I like to put one large oak or beech split in and then pack the rest of the box with medium sized splits. I've found that I can load more wood and get a hotter and cleaner burn this way than with 3 big splits and extra airspace in the firebox and I usually still have plenty of coals in the morning for a reload before going to work.

20140311_194209.jpg 20140311_180917.jpg This is my new play ground. All of the locusts standing are to be cut down. There are logs and branches laying everywhere too. I even have a tractor to use ( I am a tractor mechanic). I've found some dry piles of wood lying around too. My chain saw took a beating.... sparks were flying.

Attachments

• 20140311_180917.jpg
    20140311_180917.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 395
Reactions: jaychino415
Let locust go 3 years. It just doesn't burn well by itself. It will sit ten years in a stack and not deteriorate one bit.

Reactions: Osagebndr
Let locust go 3 years. It just doesn't burn well by itself. It will sit ten years in a stack and not deteriorate one bit.

I'm bucking and stacking wood rounds now that I will split in a few months or maybe next fall. Locust and oak. The locust is going on the bottom.

I'm bucking and stacking wood rounds now that I will split in a few months or maybe next fall. Locust and oak. The locust is going on the bottom.
Perfect

I think theyre just saying the bigger you split, the slower the spits will dry

I can't speak for the other poster but your statement is correct in regard to what I said.

Hackberry, eh?

I may not be too common in our area. Can't miss it; light gray, 'warty' bark that gets smooth in the less mature upper parts of a large tree, nothing else looks like it. Produces a small dark berry that is quite tasty.

20140315_145609.jpg
20140315_145603.jpg 20140315_171826.jpg 20140315_171848.jpg 20140315_171910.jpg Some pictures of my locust scrounge. I picked up some more Mulberry wood as well. The cross stacked photo does not include the wood loaded on the trailer. I also included a photo of my wood pile before. I have several cords of locust to cut up yet. A good bit of the wood I am cutting up has either lost its bark or it falls off when split. The mulberry is still very green.

Last edited:

Follow these links to see Hackberry. It may not be in your area. http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=26
http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/hackberry
http://mushroomexpert.com/trees/celtis_occidentalis.html

I'm a newbie to burning, but from what I know from selling firewood fo a long time and just a short time burning it is very good firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.