How to split locust firewood for the best burn times.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience is with Black Locust only. I have found that it dries significantly faster than Red Oak for me. I've ended-up burning lots of Black Locust this year that was meant for next season, but succumbed to the ongoing brutal winter.
It was split & stacked in a holzhausen in fall 2012 (so, just 1 summer in there) and it's burned great. Red Oak under those conditions wouldn't be good at all by now in my experience.
I'd be pretty confident of Black Locust after 1 year here if single-stacked in a good location. Honey Locust as I have heard is a different story & is 2 year wood for sure.

Best use for me is to split it meduim to large, get it nice & dry and have some lesser wood to mix with it for start-ups & filling in the spaces. Primo!

A lot of what I am cutting up, the trees have been knocked over for 2 years, the bark is gone, and dry saw dust comes out of the chain saw. I will aim to dry it two years but I may burn next year if needed.

Most of my firewood has been down for two yrs. red oak seems to take its time drying for sure. Some of mine still isn't dry after 2.5 years down and split.

Status
Not open for further replies.