how to store my new wood so it can cure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

robertmcw

Aug 27, 2008
Texas
I had an old pole barn and then I cut, split and stacked it there. I do not have the old barn anymore. I do nave a slab where I had planned to put a mobile home on it, but the movers destroyed the mobile home but still have the slab. I am thinking in how to store my new wood so it can cure for two years before I use it. I am thinking I can get some 2x4 of 8-foot treated studs and make 12-inch stingers and stack the split wood and then stack as I cut it. Then I can get plastic sheets and cover the piles and way it will not rot. I am thinking to drape over the top and the sides but leave the ends so it can air out and breathe. The slab is 16x60 and am really to afford to put a roof on it. Later perhaps, but not now. I was using about 5 cords a year. Any feedback would be appreciated.

RM

The wood will need a free flow of air to season. Get a bunch of pallets and lay them down on the slab to create an air gap under the wood. Top cover the stacks only, leave the sides open so that the prevailing winds can blow through the stacks. Or build a shed roof over the slab.

Last edited:
Get some skids lay them down and stack on them. I use skids as ends to braced with 2x4s. Then 2x4 across the top to attach what ever covers you use. Tar paper is a good cheap temporary solution. Metal roofing is best. Cover the top only.

I see you're in Texas, I wouldn't bother covering the 1st year and a half......I don't even cover here in Ohio for the 1st year and a half, I do cover what I plan on burning that season mid Fall, my thought is the rain water / snow actually "help" season the wood....I believe it helps "wash" or clean out the tree sap, most (or all) sap contains sugars, and any resins.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Sugars and resins contain lots of energy. You want that energy for heat.

I too stack on pallets but only cover the wood being used that season. Otherwise the covers get old and brittle. I just use regular 6 mil visqueen plastic from Home Depot and string.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Wind and sun are your friend. Stack outside on pallets.

I have a large driveway that gives me room to put wood. I just lay down two 2x4x8 treated, 14" apart, and stack on those. When it gets cold, I keep about two weeks ahead, putting ready to burn wood against the back of the house, protected by our 3' soffit.

Plenty of sun and breeze. I don't cover the stacks.

If not visible by neighbors: Pallets below, tar paper +pallets on top.

If visible by neighbors: make some kind of a rack with 2x6 or what you can find + a piece of galvanized metal sheet to screw on top to make a little roof. Putting outdoor stain on the rack will make it last a long time