How to tell if Fisher is U.L. Certified?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JDS5285

Sep 25, 2014
Virginia
Hello and thank you in advance for any information. I have a Mama Bear that is in excellent condition that I want to install in my home and of course my insurance company is requiring that it be U.L. certified. How do I tell if I have a Fisher that is? The serial # is FS01-09845 and it was manufactured by the Hesston Corporation in Kansas

on the tag which lists the model and serial number there should be a list of the "listings" and what the unit was tested to. the UL-1482 standard should be listed on that tag. if the tag has been removed from the stove however it would void the UL listing and the unit would then be an "Unlisted" stove and must be mounted using the NFPA211 standard

on the tag which lists the model and serial number there should be a list of the "listings" and what the unit was tested to. the UL-1482 standard should be listed on that tag. if the tag has been removed from the stove however it would void the UL listing and the unit would then be an "Unlisted" stove and must be mounted using the NFPA211 standard
Hi and thanks for responding - I'm right down the road from you in Lovingston. I'm thinking it isn't U.L. certified which is a bummer b/c it's a great stove and in great condition. It has the square (not cathedral door) and the patent pending writing which according to my research means it was manufactured in the late 70s I think.

Are you saying if we mount/install it by the NFPA211 standard and I will admit I have no idea what that means, that we can get around it not being U.L. listed?

the NFPA 211 standard has a guideline for unlisted units which do not show the UL testing essentially the unit would have to be installed with 36 inches of clearance to combustibles in all directions, and floor protection ,must extend 18 inches in all four directions from the stove if installed on a combustible floor surface.

this does not get you completely out of the woods yet , the insurance company may not wish to underwrite an installation with a product which is not carrying the "UL " listing, and the 211 standard does not compel them to do it though it gives them a standard to look for in the event they are willing to underwrite it

no problem, this forum is kind of a hobby for me , keeps my mind occupied while im at my desk.

if you do end up needing a new stove , you might check in with Andy at AMFM energy , he's on 29 north about 3 miles before you get to amherst, yellow building right across from where 151 and 29 intersect. he's ususlly got some pretty good deals on stoves

Mike is right on, but omitted the possibility of reducing clearance. No tag or missing tag becomes unlisted. The NFPA 211 standard is not a code, it is the testing standard which local governments or agencies adopt into their codes. It also gives reduced clearances for unlisted appliances with the use of heat shields built to proper specifications or using "stove boards" that are UL listed, reducing clearance as much as 66% to combustible.

The physical difference between stoves tested by other labs before UL became the standard used across the US was the lack of shields. In 1978 while the doors were still flat across the top, a bottom and rear shield was added and tested to UL spec; MH 11238. They were designated Baby, Mama, and Papa Bear VI. The tag was attached to rear shield. The shields are shown in the manual along with clearances.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Status
Not open for further replies.