How to tell moisture content of wood

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all I'm getting ready to in a insert in my house. I have been planning this for a few years so I have built up a wood supply. I have a few stacks that are at least two years old and have been covered mostly. Its red maple and ash.with maybe a little apple mixed in. How can I tell if it's ready and good to burn. What's a decent moisture meter to use

Jan Pijpelink

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2015
South Jersey
Hello all I'm getting ready to in a insert in my house. I have been planning this for a few years so I have built up a wood supply. I have a few stacks that are at least two years old and have been covered mostly. Its red maple and ash.with maybe a little apple mixed in. How can I tell if it's ready and good to burn. What's a decent moisture meter to use
Amazon product
Get a few pieces of wood indoors for 24 hours. Then split them and measure the MC at the split side of the wood (center). Less than 20% will be good enough to burn.

BigJ273

Burning Hunk
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
in my opinion, they all suck. The points break off very easy. I’ve been through two. I won’t buy another.

BigJ273

Burning Hunk
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
That’s the exact one I just broke. It comes with an extra set, but when I took the old ones off, the inner female thread broke off and fell inside.

billb3

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2007
SE Mass

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
I've had the one from Lowes a few years now and it's still in good shape. You'd have to really jam it into the wood the break it.

Woody5506

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2017
Rochester NY
I use the Dr Meter one from Amazon. I think it was around $20 and it's my 3rd year with it and it seems fine. Pretty sure they will replace the probes if they break, but I really have never come anywhere close to breaking them.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
Big j, you really went through 3?! How hard you pushing on them. I have a cheap harbor freight one. I think it works ok.