How to tell moisture content of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all I'm getting ready to in a insert in my house. I have been planning this for a few years so I have built up a wood supply. I have a few stacks that are at least two years old and have been covered mostly. Its red maple and ash.with maybe a little apple mixed in. How can I tell if it's ready and good to burn. What's a decent moisture meter to use

Hello all I'm getting ready to in a insert in my house. I have been planning this for a few years so I have built up a wood supply. I have a few stacks that are at least two years old and have been covered mostly. Its red maple and ash.with maybe a little apple mixed in. How can I tell if it's ready and good to burn. What's a decent moisture meter to use
Amazon product ASIN B00275F5O2
Get a few pieces of wood indoors for 24 hours. Then split them and measure the MC at the split side of the wood (center). Less than 20% will be good enough to burn.

in my opinion, they all suck. The points break off very easy. I’ve been through two. I won’t buy another.

That’s the exact one I just broke. It comes with an extra set, but when I took the old ones off, the inner female thread broke off and fell inside.

I've had the one from Lowes a few years now and it's still in good shape. You'd have to really jam it into the wood the break it.

I use the Dr Meter one from Amazon. I think it was around $20 and it's my 3rd year with it and it seems fine. Pretty sure they will replace the probes if they break, but I really have never come anywhere close to breaking them.

Big j, you really went through 3?! How hard you pushing on them. I have a cheap harbor freight one. I think it works ok.

Maybe I have some unresolved anger issues I’m taking out on the moisture meter probes.....

Reactions: moresnow