How to trick your wife into letting you get a BIG woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides the money, a stove affects every family member's daily life a majority of the year and lives in the middle of the living space with you. Selling point of the big stove in this house was pretty easy...more heat fewer loadings. My wife rarely deals with the stove now other than adjusting the thermostat. She is more than ok with that arrangement.

sksmass said:
This actually worked for me. Sneaky but effective.

I have been planning to install a stove in our living room and my wife is not too enthusiastic about giving up so much floor space. I had my sights set on the big-boy Equinox, a large stove by any measure. But I did not think she'd go for it. So, I built two cardboard mock-ups the size of two "stoves." I built one to the dimensions of the Equinox and the second one I just built a few inches bigger in every dimension. I called this faux-stove the "Blaze King 8000." I was just trying to think of the biggest bad-ass sounding name for a woodstove I could, no matter that it doesn't exist (no offense to Blaze King owners). I know my wife won't bother to research it.

So, I put both mock-ups in the living room and I tell her, "Hun, I really want this big one, the Blaze King 8000. Oh, and this is something called the Equinox." She looks at them and says, "no way you are getting that Blaze King thing, you'll have to get the Equinox.

Perfect. I love it when a plan comes together.

And I'm guessing that when you ask about the shoes (and clothes) in the closet that look brand new, you believe her when she says she has had them for a long time?

firefighterjake said:
woodjack said:
firefighterjake said:
fossil said:
woodjack said:
I've learned that it's easier to say "I'm sorry" than to ask for permission.

I've apparently learned from some very different teachers. And I'm OK with that. I'd much prefer that all the stakeholders be involved from the get-go and agree every step of the way. No surprises = no half-assed apologies. :coolsmile: Rick

ETA: Besides, in our household, it's all "our money", regardless of the source.

I'm with you on this one . . . all the way around Fossil . . . besides the one time I decided to surprise her with a big ticket gift I actually got sick to my stomach until I was able to return it . . . now if a purchase is over $100 we both talk it over with each other since she truly is my partner, my equal and my best friend . . . and just like you all the money is our money -- no his or her accounts.

That said, my wife knows me and trusts me to make the right decision . . . she knows I research things to death and knew that the stove I wanted to buy would fit our needs . . . all she wanted to know was how much space it would take out of the living room once the hearth was down and at the time she felt it would be a good idea to go with a simple and less expensive matte black stove . . . and I had no problems with that . . . although in retrospect I might have suggested the blue black enamel if I had realized how tough it holds up.

My statement was sarcastic. I'm all for being a great guy and a communicative, respectful, generous partner, but seriously, I just don't get all this asking for permission stuff - for anything over $100. Please tell me you're joking. I'm in Bro Bart's camp on this one. Bring it home and see the smile on her face.

Nope . . . I'm serious . . . we're partners in this together and talk about every purchase over $100 . . . then again we try to live frugally . . . and as for "asking permission" it isn't really so much a "permission" deal as it is talking about the item and being respectful of each other's needs and wants and of course the bottomline in terms of how much money we have in checking . . . the way I figure it a lot of fights (and divorces) occur when couples argue over money and purchases . . . this isn't an issue in our house-hold . . . this works for us . . . it may not work for others . . . which is fine.

I know what you're saying. We all probably do things a lot more similar to each other than we're able to explain.

Pagey said:

"I always wondered why they were called 'roofies', cause you're more likely to end up on the floor than the roof. They should call them 'floories'."

:) ;)

I'm with Quads -- just buy the sucker!

:) ;)

fossil said:
woodjack said:
I've learned that it's easier to say "I'm sorry" than to ask for permission.

I've apparently learned from some very different teachers. And I'm OK with that. I'd much prefer that all the stakeholders be involved from the get-go and agree every step of the way. No surprises = no half-assed apologies. :coolsmile: Rick

ETA: Besides, in our household, it's all "our money", regardless of the source.

Must be nice. In my household, her money is her money, my money is her money, our money is her money and when my son is bad he is "my" son.

I am lucky I guess. No trickery is needed as this is one area my wife does not argue or complain one bit. She grew up with wood heat and constantly wanted it at our previous house. I am actually the one that resisted burning wood for a long time because my family never burned wood.

A few years ago when LP went over $2.00 and I was tired of a 60 degree house, I finally listened. I found a used Big Jack furnace for my old farmhouse and installed it. Two years later we moved to town and sold the old farmhouse to my sister and her husband. Now they use the Big Jack and are hooked on wood heat. Plus, I gained a helper with firewood making.

Once we got the next house I decided to try a big cat stove insert for the fireplace instead of a wood furnace. It was a great decision as my wife and I both love it. It heats this larger house and uses less wood than the old Big Jack. After using the stove for a while I mentioned putting one in the basement once it gets finished. She thought that was great so I hunted Craigslist and I found another nearly new freestanding stove like our insert and it is now sitting out in the garage waiting until the basement remodel gets done.

BTW: She helps me out in the woods, hauling, stacking, and even loading the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.