How to? Wood Stove into an existing masonary fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedGuy

Oct 30, 2010
Davisburg, MI
Here's what I'm trying to do, I want to sit a woodstove inside my existing masonary firplace. The fireplace is large enough for the stove to slide about 2/3rds into, the damper is already gone as the previous home owners had a wood stove plumbed up the damper, but sitting in front of the hearth, which I did not care for as it took up alot of the room. The damper opening is 14X4.5in, into a 13X13in clay tiled masonary flue with a short 90 deg bend just over the fireplace, smoke chamber as far as I can assume from what I've read. The chimney is also about 15ft tall on an exterior wall and while it's higher than anything within 10ft it is level with the roof peak, which only puts it about 2ft above the roof where it's at (low pitched roof). As far as I've read before I need to install a liner, however how to, what I need, etc. has been alittle harder to get. I think I would like to install a ridgid liner at least for the strait run of the chimney and maybe a flex liner through the smoke chamber. Lowes carries double walled stainless steel pipe from Super vent that looks like it would work well, but I'm assuming I'd have to preassembel the pipes before dropping them down the chimney, which I'm guessing would become quite heavy and cumbersome. Any tips trick and possibly a parts list of what I need to do this right and make sure I'm compliant with code?

Pretty skinny damper opening, are you thinking of enlarging it or ovalizing the liner? Flex liner is much easier to work with and since you have a relatively short chimney I'd consider insulating the liner as well. This is where I bought my last liner, good product, good price.

http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/

I'm considering enlarging the opening. This would require me to cut a metal support though which I'm assuming parially supported the bricks above, however as I'd be removing the brick directly above to the smoke chamber, and I assume the surounding bricks should support themselves as they're mortered together. Any input on this would also be apriciated, other wise I would just ovalize then round it back out on the other side.

Welcome to the forum. :)

What stove do you plan on installing?

I'm planning on installing a Pleasant Hearth 1800 sqft model with legs.

If you can do it safely cut out enough to bring the liner through, it will draft better and be easier to sweep.

CleanBurnin said:
The double wall stainless you describe isn't liner pipe, and should only be used in places where you can inspect and replace it regularly. Your liner will come with some sort of tee for the end, or if you can, you might get flex to go straight into the stove.

That's what I was looking for. A flex liner would work and probably be the easiest to put in, but I'm assuming since ridgid is a solid smooth pipe it will 1 be easier to clean and 2 last longer than a flex liner. I'm guessing I could put a tee at the bottom, that would give me the 90 to go off into the smoke chamber and I could probably put a cap on the botom right at my current clean out to remove the ash. Also does a ridgid liner need to be insulated? And if so does it need to be insulated all the way up?

Status
Not open for further replies.