How Your Harman Works -what your manual doesn't tell you..

lbcynya Posted By lbcynya, Sep 30, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. breed5577

breed5577
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 7, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern, NJ
    I have a 2008 p38+ that I just upgraded to the newer style circuit board. I use the Stove Temp setting since it works better for my particular set up. I followed the recommended feed rate of 4 but it is very hot with a huge flame. I am now at feed rate 1 and the flame is smaller but it's still hot. Maybe I have a bad board or the potentiometer dials are off. Will play around more tomorrow. Thanks for the tutorial.

2. TonyVideo

TonyVideo
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2014
    Loc:
    Rushville, IN
    If it is too hot turn it down.

3. TonyVideo

TonyVideo
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2014
    Loc:
    Rushville, IN
    Feed rate does not adjust the temp. Leave the feed rate at 4.

4. breed5577

breed5577
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 7, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern, NJ
    It's down to
    OK will do. It's hard to break the habit from my old board. Thanks

5. breed5577

breed5577
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 7, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern, NJ
    I have the p38+ settings in stove mode, 3.5 feed rate and temp setting to 1 and it's way to hot. Granted it was a warm day today in Northern NJ. Still have a medium size flame. House is at 72 which is hot for us. We like it around 68. The old 2 knob board I was able to keep the stove on a low simmer so to speak on the warm days. Do I need to fiddle with the feed rate more. I burn Stove chow from Home Depot. Never had an issue with them.

Thanks,
    Barry

6. TonyVideo

TonyVideo
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2014
    Loc:
    Rushville, IN
    The feed rate will not lower the flame. Have you ever cleaned the ESP probe? This exhaust probe is the only thing needed in stove mode as it regulates the exhaust temp. Feed rate down all the way will do nothing in maintenance mode. You could crank a window for a few to bring the temp down a little. With a P38 I understand your reluctance to to turn your stove off completely as you would have to manually restart it. These are your only options as far as I know.

7. breed5577

breed5577
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 7, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern, NJ
    The ESP is new so I know it's clean. Maybe it's just how the new board works which is no problem. Just wanted to make sure I was operating it correctly. The p38+ can be a nuisance to light but I use a plumbers blow torch and a small amount of petroleum jelly (.5 tsp) wrapped in a cotton swab the the wife uses fro makeup and stuff that in the burn pot. Lights great all the time. Thanks

8. TonyVideo

TonyVideo
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2014
    Loc:
    Rushville, IN
    You could turn down the convection blower all the way down. You may be already be doing this. Not having a 38 I assume you have a auto manual switch but auto side does not work. You could put the stove in room temp mode manual and then turn it all the way down as it would still do a maintenance fire but turn off the convection blower completely until needed.

9. breed5577

breed5577
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 7, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern, NJ
    Great idea. I may actually try to install the thermistor and go into room temp mode to see if that will lower the flame. Kinda of fun to experiment with these stoves. Thanks

10. breed5577

breed5577
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 7, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern, NJ
    Just started the p38+. Feed rate at 3.5, it's on stove mode and the temp is at 2. My flame is huge and the augur is feeding rapidly. Why would it do this if it's on Stove mode where I am controlling the settings.

11. Mac McIlvaine

Mac McIlvaine
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 25, 2014
    Loc:
    Somewhere
    Hi, I've been reading the original post in this thread and many of the later ones. I have over the years replaced a few of the ESP units.

What exactly is in the thing? It doesn't act like a thermocouple when measured. The old one I just replaced is around 200k ohms at room temp and goes down as the temp goes up. The new one reads about 600k and goes down with temp increase.

My first guess was a thermocouple since that's typically what would be chosen for high temp nasty environs.

Any ideas?

Also, was told the ESP units can fail if the draft blower slows with age. Is this correct? (Do they just fail or actually go slower with age?)

Regards,
    Mac

12. glen1971

glen1971
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2014
    Loc:
    Pincher Creek, Alberta
    With the higher temps in the exhaust I'm guessing it is a thermocouple.. They send a signal in millivolts rather than resistance like an rtd...

13. bacitup88

bacitup88
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    NJ
    Hello. Since this post is great I thought I might ask a question. My Accentra began shutting down after 15 minutes of normal operation. All the lights stay on (no blinking from distro/comustion/feed motor lights) but the stove stops blowing smoke out of the chimney and the stove almost immediatley stops burning (flame shuts down within a minute). I'm running it on stove temp. Any ideas? Will running it on room temp bypass any functions of the ESP (Maybe thats the issue)?

Thanks in advance

14. breed5577

breed5577
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 7, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern, NJ
    This new circuit board is driving me nuts. My old p38 board went and did the upgrade. My feed rate is at
    Very strange. Have you tried room temp to see if it does the same? Could be a faulty ESP sensor.

15. bacitup88

bacitup88
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    NJ
    My combustion motor has been sqealing likw a pig for a month so I'm guessing the bearings are shot after 11 years. Gonna replace that this week and then I'll make my way to a new ESP sensor if it doesnt clear up...thanks!

16. breed5577

breed5577
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 7, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern, NJ
    I replaced my combustion motor too. Might as well replace the fan blade as you have to remove it. It was a bear getting the set screw off but a little WD-40 and some choice words helped. Why not order the esp at the same time. you can always return it depending on the company.

17. bacitup88

bacitup88
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    NJ
    I will probably go down that road as well., but was trying avoid another 100 dollars worth of repair

18. bacitup88

bacitup88
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    NJ
    ps...i did soak the bejeepers out of the set screw and it came off fairly easy....or luckily

19. breed5577

breed5577
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 7, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern, NJ
    I hear you. These repairs add up. Good luck

20. F4jock

F4jock
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 12, 2014
    Loc:
    Red Rock, PA
    Ok guys, the Feed Rate pot doesn't control temp in Stove Mode, the Room Temp / Stove Temp pot does. Closer to 8 o'clock it is the lower the temp. All the feed rate does is regulate the max possible feed in seconds per minute. This leads to inefficient operation if set too low. When you changed your board did you check dipswitch settings to insure #5 is set correctly? ESP probe is always in the mix no matter what mode you are in. Finally, best nut-loosening solvent out there is called Kroil. Expensive but never failed me yet.

21. breed5577

breed5577
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 7, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern, NJ
    Had to switch to Room Mode since Stove Mode was baking me out of the house. Simple was not working. Even at the 1 setting was too hot. Hooked up the sensor for Room Mode and have never been happier. Works to perfection. Coming from the old style circuit board I had no experience in this mode. Glad I did the upgrade. My Dist blower only runs a quarter of the time now too.

22. F4jock

F4jock
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 12, 2014
    Loc:
    Red Rock, PA
    Interesting. I've heard that the room temp sensor needs to be hooked up no matter on the newer boards. Don't know as I always run in Room. You might try Stove again just to see if there is any difference. Also depending on ESP genre dipswitch 5's position needs to be checked.

23. breed5577

breed5577
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 7, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern, NJ
    Your correct on the sensor needs to be hooked up. I never knew that before. With a combo of dealer techs and the tech speaking to Harman direct and me tinkering around the stove, it's humming along fine. That's one advantage the Englander owners have is a direct line to great tech support. I would not rule out owning one in the future.

24. bacitup88

bacitup88
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    NJ
    OK, so I put in the combustion motor and it works great. I turned it on, no squeals, but.....the feed motor is not kicking on. The light for the feed motor goes on (all modes including test) but the motor doesnt engage. If I jump power to the feed motor it works fine...Are we back to the ESP probe?

Thanks in advance!

25. F4jock

F4jock
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 12, 2014
    Loc:
    Red Rock, PA
    Sounds more like a permissive, vacuum or lid switch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.