• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Frofro

Dec 19, 2016
Manitoba
Hi guys. I have had 2 I2400 stoves in the past 5 years. The first one was replaced due to a crack near the right hand upper corner radius. From my experience both of my stoves howled. Some where in the internet I found a guy saying that the small EPA hole on the bottom right corner was punched and not drilled, thus leaving a small burr on the inside of the hole. I used a small curved file and removed it. It was good for 5 years without a howl. On my new stove I found it was also necessary to remove the burr on the inside of the draft hole in the fire box. You can feel the ridge with a suitable tool. It only takes a few minutes to remove the burr without affecting the overall dimension of the hole. I see people recommending to block the hole, but I don't think that's the best option....

Reactions: joneo
Hi guys. I have had 2 I2400 stoves in the past 5 years. The first one was replaced due to a crack near the right hand upper corner radius. From my experience both of my stoves howled. Some where in the internet I found a guy saying that the small EPA hole on the bottom right corner was punched and not drilled, thus leaving a small burr on the inside of the hole. I used a small curved file and removed it. It was good for 5 years without a howl. On my new stove I found it was also necessary to remove the burr on the inside of the draft hole in the fire box. You can feel the ridge with a suitable tool. It only takes a few minutes to remove the burr without affecting the overall dimension of the hole. I see people recommending to block the hole, but I don't think that's the best option....

I too have the i2400 insert, and experienced the same annoying howl. I had read your post but didn't have a suitable file. What I did was simply place a ring magnet over the hole; this magnet is shaped like a doughnut with a hole about the same size as the EPA hole on the stove. It therefore does not block the hole, but it does disrupt the airflow enough to prevent the annoying howling sound. See this thread for reference: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/regency-i2400-howl-draft-noise-another-fix.175222/