HR settings vs heat range comparision for USSC 6039

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goode2shoes

Dec 23, 2011
Southern IN
It has been in negative wind chill temperatures here in Southern Indiana for the past week. I had my fuel settings at HR1 = 2.0 and HR9 = 5.0. The living room/kitchen area was only getting up to 69 to 70 degrees in warmth. So I decided to increase my fuel settings to HR1 = 2.5 and HR9 = 5.5.

I took readings of the original settings just around every 40 minutes (I don't know if that would give the stove enough time to max out at each setting or not) prior to upgrading with new fuel settings. I then took the readings at approximately the same time frame of every 40 minutes or so for comparison using the upgraded fuel ratings. I used a meat thermometer for the readings and it only goes up to 180 degrees. I guess I should have waited to take the temperatures until I had a stove thermometer but we were on the cold side of things and I wanted a comparison. The results really surprised me.

Last night we didn't have the wind chill factor but it did get down in the low teens and the living room/kitchen area reached 77 degrees! Of course I'm burning more pellets but the warmth was such a WONDERFUL feeling!

Below are the original setting heat range and the update heat range for the new fuel settings:

Original Updated
HR2 = 135 HR2 = 165
HR3 = 145 HR3 = 180
HR4 = 147
HR5 = 155
HR6 = 165
HR7 = 175
HR8 = 190

So this is my question......................What does everyone elses USSC 6039 temperatures run with my upgraded fuel rating? How do I know if I'm getting the most heat out of my stove with my fuel rating?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

goode2shoes said:
It has been in negative wind chill temperatures here in Southern Indiana for the past week. I had my fuel settings at HR1 = 2.0 and HR9 = 5.0. The living room/kitchen area was only getting up to 69 to 70 degrees in warmth. So I decided to increase my fuel settings to HR1 = 2.5 and HR9 = 5.5.

I took readings of the original settings just around every 40 minutes (I don't know if that would give the stove enough time to max out at each setting or not) prior to upgrading with new fuel settings. I then took the readings at approximately the same time frame of every 40 minutes or so for comparison using the upgraded fuel ratings. I used a meat thermometer for the readings and it only goes up to 180 degrees. I guess I should have waited to take the temperatures until I had a stove thermometer but we were on the cold side of things and I wanted a comparison. The results really surprised me.

Last night we didn't have the wind chill factor but it did get down in the low teens and the living room/kitchen area reached 77 degrees! Of course I'm burning more pellets but the warmth was such a WONDERFUL feeling!

Below are the original setting heat range and the update heat range for the new fuel settings:

Original Updated
HR2 = 135 HR2 = 165
HR3 = 145 HR3 = 180
HR4 = 147
HR5 = 155
HR6 = 165
HR7 = 175
HR8 = 190

So this is my question......................What does everyone elses USSC 6039 temperatures run with my upgraded fuel rating? How do I know if I'm getting the most heat out of my stove with my fuel rating?

hi - I'm very new to all this, as I just had my US Stove 6039 installed on Monday, but have been running it all week. And have been reading this forum to try to figure out the settings. It has been extremely helpful!!

So goode2shoes - I apologize as I won't be any help to you at all :-S !! but I am trying to understand the readings you are speaking of.
So the HR = "Heat room" (first control on left) these settings go from 1 - 9. Where are you getting the 135 - 190 range/temps?

I've only been adjusting the HR level - leaving the other options in Auto mode.
Last night (outside temp 20), while I was up, I had the HR at 8 - the family room where it sits finally reached 67 (according to the thermostat which is 3 feet away from stove) - Over night I turned it down to 4. So outside this morning = 12 degrees and the room was 62 degrees. So I turned it up to 6 where it is so cold today to see what happens.

FWIW.

It is a lot to try to figure out. I've been disappointed that the rest of my downstairs hasn't yet felt the benefits of this stove - and it's fairly open floor plan. I'm hoping I just haven't quite gotten the hang of it. I've just ordered the gasket to help with the whistling noise it makes, as it is wicked loud!! Hoping it helps.

jgals said:
goode2shoes said:

Original Updated
HR2 = 135 HR2 = 165
HR3 = 145 HR3 = 180
HR4 = 147
HR5 = 155
HR6 = 165
HR7 = 175
HR8 = 190

hi - I'm very new to all this, as I just had my US Stove 6039 installed on Monday, but have been running it all week. And have been reading this forum to try to figure out the settings. It has been extremely helpful!!

So goode2shoes - I apologize as I won't be any help to you at all :-S !! but I am trying to understand the readings you are speaking of.
So the HR = "Heat room" (first control on left) these settings go from 1 - 9. Where are you getting the 135 - 190 range/temps?

I've only been adjusting the HR level - leaving the other options in Auto mode.
Last night (outside temp 20), while I was up, I had the HR at 8 - the family room where it sits finally reached 67 (according to the thermostat which is 3 feet away from stove) - Over night I turned it down to 4. So outside this morning = 12 degrees and the room was 62 degrees. So I turned it up to 6 where it is so cold today to see what happens.

FWIW.

It is a lot to try to figure out. I've been disappointed that the rest of my downstairs hasn't yet felt the benefits of this stove - and it's fairly open floor plan. I'm hoping I just haven't quite gotten the hang of it. I've just ordered the gasket to help with the whistling noise it makes, as it is wicked loud!! Hoping it helps.

jgals,

the 135 to 190 you are referring to is the heated air temperature coming out of the blower holes (above door). I took a meat thermometer and held it inside one of the blower holes to take a reading. I was trying to see if anyone else tracks the heat output vs fuel feed ratio at the blower holes and if so, I would then have a point of reference to know if I was getting the maximum heat output.

I, like you, am new to pellet stoves and am trying to figure out the best "fuel feed" ratio for our home. I was just trying to show the change in air temperature from the original fuel feed settings (which was not heating our open living room/kitchen/sunroom area) to the updated fuel feed settings (which puts out more heat and is heating the living room/kitchen area - but not the sunroom area).

I've read several posts saying that people are able to heat their 1700 sf homes with their pellet stoves. The stove I was given needed some replacement parts, cleaning, etc. and I am getting a little frustrated with the fact that I don't know if I have gotten a peak performance out of my 6039.

I'm now thinking that it is the pellets that are the problem, not the stove. I purchased 1 ton of Indeck hardwood pellets and to be honest, I'm not happy with the ash content in my stove. There is no dust/particles in the bags whatsoever. Extremely clean pellets, but ............... I'm not getting the heat but I am getting lots of ash in my firepot after only 3 or 4 bags of pellets being burned.

I know there will be ash burning wood pellets, but what I'm getting is A LOT OF ASH! It stacks up on the front lip of the door opening, fills the troft at the top of the door opening, very thick standing layer of ash on top of my door gasket (on the bottom of the glass), glazes the glass door (not black smoke, but white haze), etc.

What size of gasket did you get to replace your door gasket? I originally purchased 1/2" and now have had to purchase 5/8" because the 1/2" did not give a tight door closing fit. I didn't have the whistling that you are getting. Thank goodness! I just had some gaps.

I'm waiting for the replacement combustion motor that is suppose to arrive this afternoon. Talk about NOISE!! This squeeling is about to drive me NUTS!!!

Good luck with changing out your door gasket. Let me know how it comes out.

goode2shoes,

If your combustion motor is squeeling it most likely is not pulling the air through the burn pot as it should. What is your flame like? Sounds to me like you are having a very dirty burn which could be the combustion motor problem. Also make sure you adjust the air damoper for the best burn possible.

NOS Valves said:
goode2shoes,

If your combustion motor is squeeling it most likely is not pulling the air through the burn pot as it should. What is your flame like? Sounds to me like you are having a very dirty burn which could be the combustion motor problem. Also make sure you adjust the air damoper for the best burn possible.
My flame is good. Or at least i think it is. It is a verticle flame (meaning not lazy and floating around) and there is blue at bottom of flame and yellow at top of flame.

In an earlier post I stated that I had taken removed the combustion motor, cleaned it good, blew it out with air compressor and used 3 in 1 oil (that was the only oil I had at the house) on both sides of the motor/shaft and reinstalled it. It was HEAVEN for 2 days and then the noise returned along with all the ash build up on the face of the firebrick and in firepot.

I received the new combustion motor and low limit switch last night and I will be changing out the parts and cleaning everything once again.

I, like you, think that I'm not drawing air correctly and thus I'm just not able to heat the house like everyone else is doing.

Thank you for your advice and I will update after I complete the cleaning and installation of the new parts.

g2s - Oh - ok - thanks for the explanation on temps. I haven't tried that yet, I'll have to give it a whirl. I bought my stove in November, but had to wait for chimney parts before installing it - sounds like you've rebuilt yours! I read somewhere, maybe here, that if you were getting that whistle on the 6039, you could contact US Stove and they send you the gasket - why they don't include it with the stove.... I haven't received it yet, so I don't know what size it is. I'll let you know. Besides the whistle - the stove is just LOUD. Getting used to it though I guess.

I've just been experimenting with pellets - wow what a difference in the heat. The better pellets described here I haven't been able to find. Unfortunately, I had a couple bags of Inferno, but found this forum before I bought a ton - phew - they are horrible. I'm in New England, I've had the best luck so far with Green Supremes and Maine Wood Pellets.

I would like to be able to at least heat my downstairs (or make it more comfortable) without running my oil furnace all the time. Right now it's only really heating my family room and some of my kitchen.

I'll let you know what happens with the gasket from USSC. Thanks for all the info.

jg

Status
Not open for further replies.