HS Tarm MB55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ffcmckinney

Oct 5, 2007
So to make a long story short my Itasca WB410 sprung a leak, and I had to find something quick. I found a HS Tarm MB55 for next to nothing as budget is extremely limited. Boiler seems to burn fine but when I try to feed the fire it fills my basement with smoke. I realized during install that the manual I found online says it should be vented to an 8x12 chimney, I only have 6" metalbestos. So I know my chimney is too small but budget is next to nothing on this project. would adding an auto-draft like this one help my situation?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_21928_21928

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

How tall is your chimney? Is it within specs re. clearances to rooflines & ridges above the roof? Might help to add a section on top.

Did you try cracking a basement window to see if that helps?

Also, you should be feeding the fire when the fire is down to coals, at which time there should be very little smoke given off. So changing up how you're doing it might help.

Wet or greenish wood can also contribute.

Can't comment on the inducer, looks like it might help but no experience with it.

Reactions: Chris Hoskin
I have a mb40 that I used the same draft fan when boiler was in my garage. Now it's in my basement and I don't have to use it anymore. Just a heads up that fan will produce to much draft and over fire that boiler in a hurry.

I will try to add another section of pipe to the chimney I can take a section off my oil chimney that I'm not using right now to give it a try. If I end up going with the fan I plan on only turning it on when feeding the boiler.

There are a handful of us on this site that have toyed with aftermarket draft inducers with limited success. Based on my own experience Maple1 is giving you the most useful advice above (and it's free). I can also say that my flue-mount draft fan will not provide enough air movement to offset poorly timed upper door openings. It's great for cold starts on days with terrible draft, it's great when cleaning the boiler (keeps ash where it belongs) and will help with some smoke during normal reloads. But if you open that upper door mid-burn all bets are off...at least in my case.

If you expect to have this situation frequently I'd suggest you buy a blower fan, duct it outside and prepare to forcefully ventilate your boiler room when needed. It'll likely be cheaper and certainly more effective (assuming you have access to outside) to create a vent hood/vent tube than it will be to try to push it through your flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.