HS Tarm OT-K50

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Webber

Sep 8, 2014
New Ipswich, NH
I recently purchased a multifuel boiler, a Tarm OT-K50. When i purchased it, the person i purchased it from advertised it as an OT-50. I looked it up on the Tarm website and found that that boiler has a pretty good output. The Oil side is 200k, and the wood side is 140k. The outside dimensions of the boiler seemed to match, so i purchased the boiler. Upon further investigation, by removing the outer shroud, i found the metal plate that had the boiler information. The plate says that it is an OT-K50 and the total combined output for the unit is only 140k. To try to get more information i tried to call Tarm directly and talk with them. They told me if the tag says its and OT-50 then its an OT-50 and that all the information i have access too is what they have.

Can anyone that has experience with these boilers give me some insight on things? Is my boiler truely an OT-50? Does it really have a higher output than what the tag says, and the tag is somehow wrong? Does anyone know what the "K" prefix means? If this boiler is different than the standard OT-50, does anyone have a manual and the specs. for it they could share with me?

OT-K50 and OT-50 are one in the same. There was only one series of OT boilers imported in 4 sizes, nominally by kW: 28,35, 50, 75. Maximum combined output for the 50 is 200,000 Btu/hr. Individually the boiler in wood mode will produce 140,000 Btu/hr. maximum and in oil mode 200,000 Btu/hr. maximum. I cannot explain the rating on the tag vs. the rating in printed material, but some of the printed material we have is as ancient as the tag on your boiler. I do not know what the "K" stands for, but can assure you that it is of no consequence.

Thank you so much for the info. It is good to hear from someone that is knowledgeable about these boilers. From what I've heard, sometimes the labels were misprinted. I have heard of them being misprinted as saying OT-45 instead of OT-50. I was thinking that the tag on mine could be a misprint, but i don't have enough knowledge about these boilers to confirm that. Everything about the tag seemed right to me except the total combined output rating. It sounds to me from what you are saying that the tag must be a misprint because the OT series only came in given ratings and the btu output on the tag doesn't match up with any of them so it must be a misprint.

Before i get serious with this boiler and try to run it, i have one last question. The outer dimensions of this boiler seem to match the OT-50 within a small margin. The spec. sheet i saw said that the OT-50 is 30 inches deep and i measured it at 27. If you add in the doors and pipe flanges on the back you come really close to 30, its like 29 1/2. I tried to measure the firebox. The firebox doesn't add up to me. It is 12 1/2 inches wide. This does not match anything on the spec. sheet. It falls somewhere between the OT-35 and the OT-50. The other thing i have noticed is the middle door that allows you to adjust the draft baffle inside opens from the right. All the OT-50 pictures i have seen show it opening from the bottom. So, after seeing these differences it makes me question what the boiler really is. If for some unknown reason this boiler is not really an OT-50, but some oddball boiler that falls somewhere between an OT-50 and an OT-35, how would i go about figuring out the btu rating for each side? This is assuming the btu output on the tag is correct, that the combined output for the unit is 140k btu/hr. If i go on the assumption that the boiler is an OT-50 and i have my boiler guy set the oil side up to run at 200k but/hr, and the boiler is not rated for that, could i possibly ruin my boiler? Would it be better to go on the assumption that the boiler is an OT-35 and start lower then what it should be just to play it safe?

OK. sounds good. I'm just nervous because i got a deal on the boiler and it is exactly what i wanted and i just don't want to be to hasty about things and ruin it. But, thanks for the advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.