Hudson River WestPoint Hi Limit Switch issues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I found 2 possible issues of the Hudson River WestPoint Hi Limit Switch.

1. Busted
I saw in the link below, if you run the stove on Hi (Heat Level 5) for a long time it will trip the Hi Limit switch?
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/help-with-hudson-river-westpoint-new-stove.26518/
I checked with another member here that has one of these and it never happened to him on level 5

Well, the Hi Limit switch on my stove is 250 Deg F and I now know from experience that they do not usually go any higher than that in wood pellet stoves.

So the stove the issue above happened, may have a lower Hi limit switch such as 200 Deg F or there was something else drastically wrong or misused!

Pic below shows L250F on the metal side that goes against the stove.

2. This does not seem likely if stove is wired correctly but since I did hear there maybe wiring issues then we should check it out!
This review states that if the Hi Limit Switch trips, The auger will not stop and it keeps feeding pellets!
http://www.homeclick.com/web/Review...oint-Freestanding-Pellet-Stove-HRSWP01FS.html

This is a very easy test. As soon as I fire it up, I will test it and someone else can too?
Just pull the wire off the Hi Limit Snap while stove is running and see if Auger stops!

Attachments

• HRWpHiLimSnapDisc1.jpg
    HRWpHiLimSnapDisc1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 141
  • HRWpHiLimSnapDisc2.jpg
    HRWpHiLimSnapDisc2.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 169
Hello

I checked the Hi Limit snap disc and it popped at 140 Deg F instead of 250 as etched in the front side!

Actually, I checked with Fasco and Inca Metals and they said the convection fan thermal overload circuit on the fan will trip at 110 Deg F and above.

If that happens then air will not circulate through the stove and the stove will get hotter, so the Hi Limit switch will shut the auger down at 250 deg F. This will happen very soon after the convection fan shuts down.

So after the stove cools to below 110 Deg F, the Fasco Blower thermal overload circuit will reset and the Hi Limit snap disc must be manually reset!

See pic of snap disc showing open circuit on the Ohm meter below!

Attachments

• HRWPhiLimpopsat140F.jpg
    HRWPhiLimpopsat140F.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 169
Status
Not open for further replies.