Hunker Down Long Island !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Going into a deep plunge.

I'll be looking at 15F or so in the AM here in Icey Hollow, plus the wind chill !!

I hope every one is top covered !!

:p

Hope their bottoms are covered too. Otherwise they're gonna have some chilly chewabbies.

Reactions: Dix
Just saw the local weather report . 5 degree's tonight & a " significant storm from Tuesday till Friday !!

Eeek!

Eek is right.

I'm looking at projected temps for the winter, and I ain't happy with the seasoned wood supply. Making a phone call this week to rectify this problem !

Hey I thought you were calling me. Lol. Not that I have much to offer. But I am top Covered so bring it on

Reactions: jeffesonm and Dix
We just broke a record high today. Past couple days have been in the mid 50s. Crazy.

Hey I thought you were calling me. Lol. Not that I have much to offer. But I am top Covered so bring it on

When I call you out, you'll know it ;)

Top covered is good, what I like to hear !!

Reactions: begreen
It's supposed to be 18F here tonight. Just put a full load in before heading to bed. We shall see what Tuesday brings.

Only 26 here on the island this morn, still had coals after 12 hrs but top was only 100.

Wind was sure blowing the Prius around on route 6 coming home from cape cod. Added to the 30d last night, it felt downright arctic.

St. Croix USVI, slight chill here this morning, 78 degrees.

DSCN0089.JPG

Crazy weather here. Warmest I can remember in December. We just set the all time record for December at 66F. It was 68F in downtown Seattle. Our hellebores have started blooming. They shouldn't be blooming for another 2-3 months. Also noticing that high tide is higher this year. Some beaches and bulkheads were under water this morning. This is the first time I've seen the water this high.

IMG_2008web.jpg

I don't know if we are the coldest on record. Our precip is off the charts. Maybe we have swapped coasts and know one told us.

Reactions: Dix
The Jet Stream has taken an extreme oscillation these past two winters that is most unusual. It is what is delivering the polar cold to the east and extreme opposite to the west coast. But last year was not as warm as this.

The Jet Stream has taken an extreme oscillation these past two winters that is most unusual. It is what is delivering the polar cold to the east and extreme opposite to the west coast. But last year was not as warm as this.

And serious rain here, the past few months. After a summer that was very dry.

It's snowing outside.

:mad:

Crazy weather here. Warmest I can remember in December. We just set the all time record for December at 66F. It was 68F in downtown Seattle. Our hellebores have started blooming. They shouldn't be blooming for another 2-3 months. Also noticing that high tide is higher this year. Some beaches and bulkheads were under water this morning. This is the first time I've seen the water this high.

65mph wind gusts predicted for the Puget Sound region tomorrow night. 75mph in the mountains. Add saturated soils to the mix from all this rain and we are going to have a lot of trees come down. Not fun. I'm already planning to spend tomorrow night at my folks' house in town. I love my house, but it gets scary in high winds because of all the big trees around.

Status
Not open for further replies.