Huntsman 4020 Restored I guess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hksvr4

Dec 3, 2019
NY
Bought the house this summer and the wood stove came with the house. Almost lost the stove because the home owners son wanted to keep it. But we were able to write it in to the contact. Anyways, I knew little about the stove until I searched the internet and found this place. I knew the stove needed some TLC.

- Cleaned out the chimney and vacuumed the outlet of the stove.
- Replaced the missing gaskets on both doors.
- Loosen all the knobs. One is still stuck tho.
- Replaced all the cracked bricks on the inside. 1.25”x4”x10” Firebricks. I called every mason builder supply store by me and no one had them. They have the standard 4“x8” bricks. Luckily my father in law who lives in upstate NY was able to get the exact size bricks. I had no idea the bottom were bricks too until I vacuumed all the ashes. I will have replaced all the old ones. Next time I’ll replace them. Let me know if I'm missing something.

Not sure if this is the original screen door but is fits perfectly and I haven’t seen the owners manual for this model yet. With all the bricks replaced, it’s a different animal. It’s going to take a little bit to learn the stove. As you can see it this replaced the fireplace that is still there. I don’t plan on heating the house with it because I’m not home everyday to put wood in it but on the weekends I use it a lot.
Huntsman3.jpgHuntsman2.jpghuntsman4.jpgHuntsman5.jpgHuntsman6.jpgHuntsman1.jpg

Boy that thing has a big belly. Is there a baffle above the firebrick? There's no need to replace the old floor firebrick if it's in good shape.

Boy that thing has a big belly. Is there a baffle above the firebrick? There's no need to replace the old floor firebrick if it's in good shape.
I've put 8 pieces of wood in there no problem.

Question: I cleaned out my chimney and removed the flue pipe to clean out. This was about 2 months ago. A couple days ago, I noticed when I open the doors, the smoke is coming out. Almost telling me to clean the flue pipe again. I dont know. Maybe in the picture below what area needs to be cleaned? But there is no way of getting in there. I just purchased Creosote remover toss-in canisters and hopefully it helps. If not I might need to remove the flue again.
1575550975992.jpeg

Does the stove have a properly sized (8"?) stainless liner going to the top of the chimney? If not, how is it connected?

Does the stove have a properly sized (8"?) stainless liner going to the top of the chimney? If not, how is it connected?
It has the 8” pipe passing through the original fireplace damper that is oval then venting into the chimney. No staninless liner.

It has the 8” pipe passing through the original fireplace damper that is oval then venting into the chimney. No staninless liner.
That's not a great setup, especially if there is no block-off plate at the damper area and if the chimney throat is large.

That's not a great setup, especially if there is no block-off plate at the damper area and if the chimney throat is large.
I agree. But I would have to remove the existing fireplace damper. The previous owner had this set up for 20years. The SS liner would be best setup.

I agree. But I would have to remove the existing fireplace damper. The previous owner had this set up for 20years. The SS liner would be best setup.
Is there a block-off plate? Besides being a creosote maker my concern is the potential for draft reversal and lethal CO entering the room.

Is there a block-off plate? Besides being a creosote maker my concern is the potential for draft reversal and lethal CO entering the room.
Sorry, just remembered yes there is. I was cleaning the creosote off of it.

Last edited: