Hurricane Henri

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
5 pm NHC update shows it's going a bit faster, resulting in a slightly farther eastward landfall (near Montauk). That's good as I'd be on the west side where the wind speeds are not as great as on the east side. NHC says hurricane force winds up to 45 miles from the eye (now, at sea).

More rain though on the west side of the eye, but I think the way my lot drains should be ok with that.

I'm concerned about trees on my home... I have a red oak tree that is 4' diameter and at least 60' "ruler-straight" up (how much would that trunk be worth...?). And it's about 35-40 ft from my home... (And 6 other red an white oaks up to 2' in dia in a group, and a 40' tall 3' dia maple - all in reach of my home...)
Yes. The west side is definitely the better side to be on

So, that wasn't too bad out here. NYC is getting hammered with rain though.

Reactions: EbS-P
It looks like you are going to have a major flood problem--trying to keep up with all this--get out the boat...the wind will turn as well..but it was not as bad as it could be---thank goodness---so far...another storm coming from the west is helping to push it but rain and more rain..clancey

Nah, the flood problems much closer to the city and in New Jersey. Not here.
And in Connecticut.

We're good here.

We received about 5" of rain, although it came in waves and lasted about 30hrs or so, at one point in the afternoon it looked much worse on radar for potential flooding, but alas, only local area's around here got minor flooding (more like a storm water drain was blocked and stuff) All in all, other then the wetness, it wasnt to bad, now I have something interesting, I was home going out the door for an outage assignment and a heavy squall was moving in, I was in the basement and all of a sudden it just kind of felt flush outside (warm and wet air) my ears popped and that was it, come to find out that the cells were moving north to south and there was a spin up tornado about 8 miles to the north of me in Warwick NY, couldnt believe I felt the atmosphere like that, it was cool to experience.
Now as things dry out, I will be doing more weed whacking and getting more pallets down for stacking, havent touched firewood since June, and now I have the itch to get out and do something with wood, a saw and a splitter.

We received about 5" of rain, although it came in waves and lasted about 30hrs or so, at one point in the afternoon it looked much worse on radar for potential flooding, but alas, only local area's around here got minor flooding (more like a storm water drain was blocked and stuff) All in all, other then the wetness, it wasnt to bad, now I have something interesting, I was home going out the door for an outage assignment and a heavy squall was moving in, I was in the basement and all of a sudden it just kind of felt flush outside (warm and wet air) my ears popped and that was it, come to find out that the cells were moving north to south and there was a spin up tornado about 8 miles to the north of me in Warwick NY, couldnt believe I felt the atmosphere like that, it was cool to experience.
Now as things dry out, I will be doing more weed whacking and getting more pallets down for stacking, havent touched firewood since June, and now I have the itch to get out and do something with wood, a saw and a splitter.
A lot better to be working with wood voluntarily on your schedule than dealing with storm debris;)

Interestingly, the past three weeks I spent in South Florida hoping to meet Fred and/or Grace (joke). Then bang …..Henri comes out of nowhere and threatens NE. Got back last night and this morning looked at my lawn….yellow. No Henri here. I am glad you guys south of me did not get it as bad as the weather man predicted.

Hopefully the weather will cool some in the next couple of weeks. I need to start my milling projects. I moved all my 2021-22 wood in July to areas close to the house (underneath a covered porch etc) and hauled bunch back to the city. Wood is ready to be consumed. I think I will clean both chimneys this weekend.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Hopefully the weather will cool some in the next couple of weeks.
I foresee a cool down around around mid 2nd week of September around here, normal typical stuff. All in all, it really hasnt been to bad, I remember much hotter summers here, the one thing that stands out this year is the moisture, rain or humidity, it seems like we've had a lot of that, but we also has nice reprieves to, just when you felt like you were about to crack, bam we got 2 or 3 nice warm but drier days with pleasant evenings.

Nonevent here west of Boston.

I packed the freezer full of containers of water to make ice blocks. Cans of beer and containers of water in the refrigerator. Can easily keep things cold for days if freezer and refrigerator sre packed with ice and water, respectively.

Just some rain and wind here on the east side of the track and about 80 miles away. Lost power for 40 minutes late afternoon for some reason when it was all over .

Nonevent here west of Boston.

I packed the freezer full of containers of water to make ice blocks. Cans of beer and containers of water in the refrigerator. Can easily keep things cold for days if freezer and refrigerator sre packed with ice and water, respectively.

Just some rain and wind here on the east side of the track and about 80 miles away. Lost power for 40 minutes late afternoon for some reason when it was all over .
While I do have a generator for the fridge etc, it is thirsty, so I do the same: I set it at a much lower temperature while filling it with a lot of water 1 or 2 days in advance. In particular the latent heat will help greatly in the freezer (and the heat capacity of liquid water is nothing to sneeze at either).

I am always surprised that people don't do it. I also explain heat capacity to folks. Chemistry nerd here. :)

Our problem here is ice storms dropping branches on power lines in winter. Our development has underground utilities, but old power lines with mature trees by and in them bringing power here.

Putting the ice blocks in refrigerator now to melt. No sense in throwing that ice in the sink. Drinking a lot of water this week. :)

Reactions: stoveliker
Important bit here. I learned you need to prepare like you are staying and do so early. Once in the 3 day cone you have 12 hours to make an evacuation decision. After that all routes to safety are too congested and I believe have inherent risks that need to be accounted for.
Like I said 12 hours after the three day cone.