Husqvarna 435 Help. Starts and runs good then dies.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KJamesJR

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2018
New Hampshire
So I need some help trouble shooting my Husqvarna 435. It starts and runs no problem, for about 15 minuets, then dies.

It did it in the middle of a back cut and I couldn’t get it to turn back over. Once it’s dead, it’s dead and won’t start again for a while. I quickly went to Lowe’s and picked up the only thing they had in stock... A Husqvarna 440 ($300). Went back into the woods finished my back cut, bucked and called it a day.

The 435 has been loyal for the past two years of moderate to heavy use and abuse. I tore it apart last weekend replaced the spark plug, fuel filter etc. cleaned out the fuel tank pressure release. I don’t know what else it could be aside from the ignition coil overheating. I’m thinking of replacing it and the fuel tank pressure valve, because I may not be able to clean it out well enough.

I’m looking to return the 440 because i really don’t need it and it doesn’t seem to perform much better than the 435. It can move a longer chain, that’s about it. Or fix the 435 and try to sell it. I was really trying to save my money for the 550xp. I had to get the 440 because I was halfway into a back cut and needed something quick. Obviously you can’t leave it like that.

Anyways, any thoughts welcome.

The carburetor probably has to be cleaned, or possibly needs a rebuild kit. I've encountered the same problem before. Try putting Seafoam in your gas tank, and fuel container.

The carburetor probably has to be cleaned, or possibly needs a rebuild kit. I've encountered the same problem before. Try putting Seafoam in your gas tank, and fuel container.
I did hit the carb pretty vigorously with carb cleaner. I didn’t take it off though and do a deep clean. I would think with a gunked up carb it wouldn’t start or run very well at all. I’m getting a start and run and I’ve always used the Husqvarna pre mix which is supposed to be non ethanol fuel.

So I need some help trouble shooting my Husqvarna 435. It starts and runs no problem, for about 15 minuets, then dies.

It did it in the middle of a back cut and I couldn’t get it to turn back over. Once it’s dead, it’s dead and won’t start again for a while. I quickly went to Lowe’s and picked up the only thing they had in stock... A Husqvarna 440 ($300). Went back into the woods finished my back cut, bucked and called it a day.

The 435 has been loyal for the past two years of moderate to heavy use and abuse. I tore it apart last weekend replaced the spark plug, fuel filter etc. cleaned out the fuel tank pressure release. I don’t know what else it could be aside from the ignition coil overheating. I’m thinking of replacing it and the fuel tank pressure valve, because I may not be able to clean it out well enough.

I’m looking to return the 440 because i really don’t need it and it doesn’t seem to perform much better than the 435. It can move a longer chain, that’s about it. Or fix the 435 and try to sell it. I was really trying to save my money for the 550xp. I had to get the 440 because I was halfway into a back cut and needed something quick. Obviously you can’t leave it like that.

I have the 550xp.. really good saw and cuts fast..youll love it when you get it in your gands

Reactions: TreePointer

Sounds like the coil is bad. Easy fix and not to costly.

How do you like the electrical stuff? Doesn’t it have onboard microchips? Does it need a dedicated battery?
Not that i know of.. iv had the saw for 3 years now and apart to clean and serve and have never seen a battery. Also sound like a bad coil.. once heated up it will cut out if its going bad.. forgot to put this in my original post

Okay I think I may have two issues going on...

A) Bad coil. I swapped the coil from the 440 to the 435 and it started right up as usual. About 10 minutes later it shut off.

B) Plugged fuel tank valve. After it died I checked the fuel level (full) however the cap was making hissing noises as I unscrewed it which makes me believe the pressure isn't being relieved. I put the coil back into the 440 and ran that for a few minutes. Shut down and unscrewed the cap, no hissing.

My next step is to run the 435 with the pressure valve removed and see if the saw dies. At this point I may just keep the 440 because I've already been using it. I will probably try to fix up and sell the 435.

check to see if the fuel line is kinked.

check to see if the fuel line is kinked.
It was not kinked. I also broke the pull cord this evening. So until I get around to it I put the saw away. Put the 16” bar and chain in the 440 hoping to get some better performance out of it. I’ll be needing it tomorrow.