Husqvarna Idle Adjustment?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Todd67

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2012
Northern NY
I've had my Husky 440e for a year now. It's been a great saw, but it seems like it idles too slow. It stalls if I let it idle between cuts. How can I turn up the idle speed on the saw?

It's my only complaint with the saw. I've used it to cut down & cut up enough trees to equal more than 4 full cord of firewood this fall.

I don't have the manual for that particular saw but one thing I've learned about adjusting the carburetors on my saws is that its not as simple as just increasing the idle. Usually there is a high speed adjustment, low speed adjustment and idle adjustment, if you adjust one the others need to be adjusted as well. Also the saw needs to be fully warmed up before any adjustments are made.

Plan A = learn to tune and adjust the carburetor yourself (not that hard but there is a slight learning curve).
Plan B = drop it off at the dealer and have them dial it in for you

Reactions: SpaceBus and Todd67
You can download your manual here:
There's a screw on the side of the saw hidden in a little well (that's how it is on my 455, anyway).

If that adjustment doesn't fix your problem, check air filter, plug, fuel filter, and make sure fuel is fresh.

Reactions: Todd67
Give the shop a try were you bought the saw..they usually will do it free for you ...

Reactions: Todd67 and Zack R
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try it myself after I review the manual. I'm mechanically inclined, but also know my mechanical limitations.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try it myself after I review the manual. I'm mechanically inclined, but also know my mechanical limitations.
I think you can handle it. It's pretty easy to tune the saw. I did my first saw a few months ago. After watching some videos and reading the manual I ordered a tachometer and some various carb adjustment tools and went at it.

Reactions: Todd67
I think you can handle it. It's pretty easy to tune the saw. I did my first saw a few months ago. After watching some videos and reading the manual I ordered a tachometer and some various carb adjustment tools and went at it.

I'll look into some tools, thanks!

Reactions: Zack R and SpaceBus