Hybrid Alcove Design Option?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Montana McCart

Oct 28, 2020
Montana
I have seen references to use of non-combustible construction (steel studs, concrete board, stone veneer) for construction of alcoves for wood stoves. When I designed the layout for my house we designed a fairly large alcove (approximately 74" wide x 46" deep). What I am running into is that almost all stoves require to much head room for our aesthetic tastes. Most require ceiling no lower than 84". I am looking at the Jotul F55 V2 which in my case would require 72" below the alcove ceiling.

What I am wondering is if knowledgeable persons on this forum would consider it a violation of the manufacturer's requirements to frame in the alcove opening below the alcove ceiling a foot or two down with a non-combustible wall assembly as long as a 1" air space was left at the top of the alcove ceiling for hot air to escape from the alcove back into the living room. To be clear the rest of the alcove is wood framing / combustible and that won't change. I have more than sufficient setbacks for a number of wood stoves on the sides and back of the alcove - it is just the visible alcove height I am wanting to change. Is this worth pursuing with my insurance agent? (My reason for wanting to frame in the top of the alcove opening is that I have a huge Douglas-fir slab with a live edge that I really wanted to use as a shelf style mantle, and putting it 7+ feet off the floor to get it above the alcove ceiling really is not the look (or utility) I am looking for.

Has anyone done something like this and gotten approval (with full disclosure) from an insurance agent for residential insurance with a fire policy?

Attachments

• 139009_ Manual, F 55 V2_2020.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:
If the ceiling is entirely non-combustible and vented it may pass the inspecting authority. It would help to get an ok from the stove mfg in advance. Also be mindful of the stove's mantel clearance requirements.