Hybrid Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well being just a simple man... Light that thing some day and love it.

We seem to do stoves of the year around here. Was the Summit, then the Blaze Kings and now the Progress.
Now, the Blaze King thing I understand completely! They will do everything that they are advertised to do! Not that Woodstock doesn't. But, a Woodstock isn't a good fit or a better fit for all people. It's almost becoming a programmed response around here!

It's almost becoming a programmed response around here!

Happens every year going into burning season. "My daddy can whip your daddy.".

Todd has been there and burned'em all.

And if they had it tested for actual btu output with cord wood it would rock the Progress Hybrid's world. ;lol

The 30NC does have a 3.5 cu ft firebox, compared to the 2.8 on the Progress. It would more appropriately be compared to the Union/Steal Hybrid, with its 3.2 cu ft firebox.

The rock gonna lose every day of the week to a steel stove in btu per hour transfer into the living space. ;)

That's a bit of apples and oranges comparison. The rock retains heat, steel transfers it quicker. In the end, they both transfer the heat into the living space, just at different rates. Bet the Progress is still radiating heat long after the 30NC is cold.

A more appropriate comparison, again, might be with the steel jacketed Union/Steal. That will be a close call, with the 30NC having a 0.3 cu ft larger firebox, but I suspect the hybrid tech and smoke path of the Union/Steal will overcome the deficit.

A steel stove will kick ass at first but slow down later on, soap stone will be more of an even output. People can decided what's best for them. I like the cat/stone option for my place, long burns and a nice fire show, it works for me

The NC 30 does not have a 3.5 fire box, measure it, more like 2.5

We shall see. It has been a long time since one of these got started here. It pretty much boils down to how the stove heats your house and how much it eats to do it.

But I will always pick on evangelists. Especially for stoves nobody has burned in yet.

I have done it Todd and keep seeing you say that. But I have two of the suckers in the house and have measured them and, well, you are wrong.

Englander says its 3.5.

30-NC SPECIFICATIONS:
fire.gif
Dimensions
(Approx.): 23 1/4" W x 29 3/4" H x 31" D
(Approx. height w/pedestal)
fire.gif
Weight:
475 lbs.
fire.gif
AC-G30 glass:
11 1/4" x 15 1/8"
fire.gif
Firebox size:
3.5 cu. ft.
fire.gif
Flue size ID:
6"
fire.gif
Type of fuel:
Wood
fire.gif
Door opening size:
11" x 15"
fire.gif
Ash drawer:
Standard

That's a bit of apples and oranges comparison. The rock retains heat, steel transfers it quicker. In the end, they both transfer the heat into the living space, just at different rates.

But that number Tom is so proud of is BTU per hour. I can keep doing this up for weeks. New keyboard. >>

I am gonna have a talk with him about this stuff at the get together in November.

The thing is measured at the test facility folks to determine the test load. Well, and in my family room to determine the night load. EPA method 28 dictates the usable firebox size.

What do you know? You just bought a gas stove to replace a Blaze King and a Woodstock Keystone. Traitor! ;lol

Reactions: BrianK
For the record, Todd is probably one of the most experienced wood burners on this site and has owned and burned in more stoves than any of us.

Reactions: BrianK
Though Browning Bar is trying hard to match.

What I have read alot of stove manufactures measure the total stove interior space and that doesnt always equate to usable space.

If I was measuring side to side would be inside edge of fire brick to fire brick and to the top of the fire bricks as they say not to load it any higher than the fire brick in a NC-30. Then the front to back measurement would be from the inside edge of the doghouse air to the inside edge of the back firebricks. I would not measure all the way out to the door as your not supposed to load that close to the door.

Not to pick on NC-30's but I can not see a design difference in that stove that equates to such a low grams of emissions number it tested at. As alot of other tube stoves dont come close and they are basically copies of the NC-30 in design. A tube stove is a tube stove. Firebrick insulated fire box. A insulated baffle board. Burn tubes with preheated air injects into the smoke path just under the baffle board. I spoke to one manufacturer who said they bought one to see how they do it and they couldnt figure it out or get the same results in their own testing. I will just keep scratching my head on that one.

Ok I am ducking now , there went a firebrick over my head.

I would like to see the test results on those early stove designs. I suspect the technology is used in better designs with better results these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.