Hydraulic Separator DIY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to find a example of a homemade hydraulic separator (not just close spaced tees). Has anyone made one of these with iron pipe crosses or larger diameter copper pipe? $320 dollars seems a little steep to buy a premade taco. If you have can you post a picture?

Look at webstone on supplyhouse. I looked at making my own, but I didn't think I could get it right on the first try, and did not have the time to disassemble and reassemble 5 separators. What size pipe are you working with?

If you want just hydraulic separation, a 3-1 ratio from pipe size to barrel size. so a 1" sep would need a 3" diameter barrel. There is some engineering involved with the correct design. I'm not sure all the brands out there have been engineered and flow tested :)

The seps we build have air and dirt removal function built in and a magnetic band on some versions to help protect ECM circulators.

Some info here on how they work and build. Page 36 & 37 show the math.

http://www.caleffi.com/sites/default/files/coll_attach_file/idronics_15_na.pdf

Reactions: NateB
Status
Not open for further replies.