I am a wood addict

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm surprised no one has mention bugs. Earlier in the spring and later in the fall kinda goes better with no mosquitoes and black flies.
we have black flies here in the end of april to middle of june they are the worst. mosquitoes at least leave one alone if they keep moving

Reactions: Split
We have black flies, mosquitos, and deer flies here. The deer flies are the most aggressive. They’ll follow you until you kill them basically.

The others will leave you alone if you keep moving. I have one of those netted hats if I have to stay in one spot for too long.

And of course the least annoying in the short term, but worst in the long run are the ticks. We have a Lyme disease problem here.

We have black flies, mosquitos, and deer flies here. The deer flies are the most aggressive. They’ll follow you until you kill them basically.

The others will leave you alone if you keep moving. I have one of those netted hats if I have to stay in one spot for too long.

And of course the least annoying in the short term, but worst in the long run are the ticks. We have a Lyme disease problem here.
Thank you for posting this. I guess have deer flies too, but I never knew what to call them. Similar to horse flies, in that they're very large, aggressive, and bite hard! But they don't come out until August, whereas the black flies most here lament seem to be more in June.

We have so many deer, they sit and watch me doing lawn work, most days. So, I guess it'd make sense, if we have deer flies.

I’ve heard them called different things. But they’re the striped wing flies. I’m not sure if horse flies and deer flies are the same? I think horse flies are bigger.

I have a few dogs, and I think they scare off most of the deer. I do see a lot of turkeys and other wildlife though.

Does permethrin keep flies or mosquitos away? I use it on clothes for tick repellant but it's not during mosquito or fly season.

Hoarse fly
1661888774658.png

Deer Fly
1661888683819.png

Damnit... I have both!

I have a lot of hobbies my wife doesn’t understand/approve of. Including firewood hoarding. And I always tell her “ hey it’s better than doing hard drugs”. She doesn’t think that’s funny:)
I tell my wife that it keeps me out of the bars. It does!

All this talk about hot weather and flies. That is why I only process wood in the cold months. No fun in the summer!

I tell my wife that it keeps me out of the bars. It does!

All this talk about hot weather and flies. That is why I only process wood in the cold months. No fun in the summer!
Absolutely. Wood processing is a cold weather activity. March at the latest around here.

I have a lot of hobbies my wife doesn’t understand...
Careful. begreen will be along real soon, to tell you that comment was demeaning, and to explain that your wife could indeed understand this hobby. :rolleyes: ;lol

Reactions: DonTee
My work schedule is slower in the winter, so that’s when I do mine. I cut and load onto a trailer in the winter preferably when the ground is frozen. Early in the spring I’ll use my mini excavator to find and pile logs for the next year before the weeds get so tall you can’t see them. I cut a lot of laying dead trying to clean up the woods.