I am having a True North N10 installed as we speak.. I have some questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A nice hot fire will also burn the creosote off the glass. The ash and wet newspaper works well, but only if it's not a ton.
I am actually having trouble getting a hot fire going. I have the pressed logs, some kindling, and some newspaper. It is no problem getting a regular fire going but my firebox is too small to get enough material in it to get a hotter fire going, unless I just stand there throwing in newspaper and kindling?

I am actually having trouble getting a hot fire going. I have the pressed logs, some kindling, and some newspaper. It is no problem getting a regular fire going but my firebox is too small to get enough material in it to get a hotter fire going, unless I just stand there throwing in newspaper and kindling?
Your compressed wood bricks can be tough to light. I had a hard time sometimes our first winter in a similarly sized stove burning the bricks. I would try to start a "Top down" fire. This means putting two bricks inside the stove with an inch or so separating them and then stack the kindling on top of that with the newspaper on top of the kindling. Light the paper and it will eventually burn the kindling creating some coals right on the bricks.

The few times I have tried the ECO bricks (my brother sells 'em) I found the best way to use them is mixed in with cord wood...or at least thrown in on hot coals...starting from cold with the bricks (or logs) would be a tough road I would think...

The few times I have tried the ECO bricks (my brother sells 'em) I found the best way to use them is mixed in with cord wood...or at least thrown in on hot coals...starting from cold with the bricks (or logs) would be a tough road I would think...
It is tough, and I agree about mixing it with cordwood. A propane torch also makes it a bit easier.

A chunk of a Supercedar would do the job!

Reactions: SpaceBus
A chunk of a Supercedar would do the job!
Yes. Some compressed products provide a starter, but if not a chunk of SuperCedar does the trick. I used it to start a stove full of BioBricks. No problem.

Yes. Some compressed products provide a starter, but if not a chunk of SuperCedar does the trick. I used it to start a stove full of BioBricks. No problem.
Do they still offer a freebie for Hearth.com members to try?
I know they offer a discount for early season orders for various forum's members and former customers.

I don't know, possibly. Folks will have to contact Thomas, user NWfuel, and ask.

I am running into troubles. My walls were too hot to touch night before last and when I checked my IR it showed 180.4 degrees. The 2 corners seem to be the hotspot areas of my stove, the rest is about 80 to 90 degrees on the walls.

Sounds like you figured out how to build a hot fire then eh?
Time for a heat shield on the wall...

Sounds like you figured out how to build a hot fire then eh?
Time for a heat shield on the wall...
Well, it isn't any hotter than before, just the low side of the "optimum zone" on the thermometer. I just had it going for a few hours instead of the one log 2 hour burn I did before. I think maybe there was a build up of heat? I just ordered spacers and 2 heat shields. It is disappointing that the corners of the unit have that little gap for the exterior heat shield. It really puts out the heat!!

It is disappointing that the corners of the unit have that little gap for the exterior heat shield. It really puts out the heat!!
I haven't seen the TN10 in person but it sounds like that gap could be addressed by putting some angle metal on the corners.

Reactions: WAstate
Have I told you guys lately that I love my stove? I do! I don't love that I had it painted white, as it is hard to keep the dingy look from happening. I also don't love that I am still using tin foil as a heat shield. BUT, I absolutely love my stove and am getting really picky about what I put in it! I buy real wood only if I can help it. I use only newspaper without colors on it, I clean the window every time... I get obsessed with wood, which store has the best... it is ridiculous!

Yes, for a few bucks at the grocery store I get 6 or more pieces :)

If you have the space you will find yourself spending much less money by buying a whole cord of firewood at a time.

Reactions: WAstate
Yes, for a few bucks at the grocery store I get 6 or more pieces :)
If you have the space you will find yourself spending much less money by buying a whole cord of firewood at a time.
Depending on firewood prices in your area, buying wood by the cord can get you 3-4 splits per $1
And just FYI, a full cord is 128 cubic ft...or 4' wide x 8' long x 4' high (think of a stack of full plywood sheets 4' high)

That is my longer range goal. I need to clear a spot (not sure where yet) for a cord of wood. I actually have several downed alders I need to have the rounds cut into useable pieces. Currently my 1/2 acre property is a jungle and it will take years and thousands of dollars to fell all the diseased trees down that I want. I was quoted $34k to have them taken down and removed. That was before I bought my wood stove! Now I just need them taken down and chopped up :) In the meantime, I need to find a corner somewhere that would be my dedicated wood area. Somewhere far enough that the spiders won't follow me back to the house but close enough that it is manageable during a power outage or cold snap to get some wood. My property is narrow but long, it is an odd set up of steep rolling hills with trees, ferns, blackberry bushes and ivy... Like a roller coaster, or that jungle scene from Jumanji... That being said, it is beautiful to me. :)

Cold start with eco bricks and nothing else is not hard. My method is to use paper towel soaked in used cooking oil (I do a lot of fry cooking)
Just stuff 4 balls of those in between the eco bricks and light them. The oil will burn for 10 mins and by the end of the 10 minutes the bricks will burn.