I am stressed - breaking in Arada stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeelu

Nov 26, 2022
Gloucester
Hi guys,

New to the forum. Please calm my nerves. Just had a new stove installed (Arada Ecoburn S5 widescreen - steel with cast door) Asked the fitter for best procedure. He said to make sure you burn the fire hot and don’t go too big which I have done. Only adding one log at a time on the first fire until it had burnt down. first fire was around 6 hours long as the house was freezing.

Now I’m reading that I should have had at least 2 break in fires or risk damaging the stove. My 6 hour fire reached around 430f on the sides and less everywhere else. Have I done irreparable damage or should I stop worrying??

If it’s any consolation, I had similar nervousness breaking in my regency 2450 st the camp a couple yrs ago. Due to some weird circumstances, my wife did the first break in fire. Only she left the door slightly ajar the whole burn. When I got to the house I was like WTF but it was done, just ashes in the stove and my wife appearing non the wiser. I almost totally lost my mind. This steel stove was fine. Then on the same night, on my own stupidity, I got the stove top to like 800 degrees bc I was used the stove at the other place. 2 years later and the stove is totally awesome, no issues. I wouldn’t worry a bit, unless you notice the stove acting weird.
Have a drink or a tea- I’m sure you’re good.

Break in fires are tricky. too hot, not hot enough, not long enough , ect. I would say as long as you dont have a "bonfire", youll be good. I think its just for the paint actually. I wouldnt sweat it, unless your home gets hot from the new stove, then sit back and enjoy the ride!

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Break in fires are tricky. too hot, not hot enough, not long enough , ect. I would say as long as you dont have a "bonfire", youll be good. I think it’s just for the paint actually. I wouldnt sweat it, unless your home gets hot from the new stove, then sit back and enjoy the ride

ok I hope I’m in the clear then. I was only putting on one regular sized log at a time after the last one had burnt to the embers and repeat. There was barely any creaking from the stove as it heated up quite gently. I’ll stop worrying now shall I?! 😬😂🤪

If it’s any consolation, I had similar nervousness breaking in my regency 2450 st the camp a couple yrs ago. Due to some weird circumstances, my wife did the first break in fire. Only she left the door slightly ajar the whole burn. When I got to the house I was like WTF but it was done, just ashes in the stove and my wife appearing non the wiser. I almost totally lost my mind. This steel stove was fine. Then on the same night, on my own stupidity, I got the stove top to like 800 degrees bc I was used the stove at the other place. 2 years later and the stove is totally awesome, no issues. I wouldn’t worry a bit, unless you notice the stove acting weird.
Have a drink or a tea- I’m sure you’re good.
Thanks that makes me feel a lot better. I think I only got to 430 faranheit (221c) but that was measured on the sides as the top as an extra plate/cover on it so i guess that doesn’t give accurate temps.

You will be fine I would say. Just dont overfire, which happens, but makes me nervous too.

Dont worry, be happy, lo.....seriously tho, grab a cold brew and enjoy the warmth. Nothing beats wood heat in my book.

Just do more breakin fires. It's a low slow bake for the gasket cement. Keep to fuel volume low. Small fires.
The stove is very concentrated heat. It will take many hours to raise the temperature a few degrees of a cold house. Don't overfire the stove doing this.

Last edited:
It's a steel stove. The break-in is primarily for the paint. It will be ok. Enjoy the warmth.

Not sure about the Eco, but the Arada Farrington 16 has no breaking procedure listed. It only warns that the paint will stink as it bakes in. They do this in most polite terms.

Please Note : The high temperature paint acquires durability by being “cured” during the initial firings of the appliance. It will give off fumes which are non toxic, but certain persons may find they have an unpleasant or irritant effect. Ensure that the surrounding area is well ventilated during this time.

Reactions: nola mike