I am to old to die...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

robertuno

Jan 21, 2023
Japan
I wonder if anyone could advise me...I bought a wonderful looking steel stove in Japan where I live...it never felt very controlable but...it looked superb... after the first season I noticed thre glass was always black and asked the maker fior advice... he asked for photos so I subsequently provided them.. he told me I should not have placed gasket all around the outside stove glass like an 'O' but like a 'U' thus leaving the top of the glass without gasket... I have no idea if this is correct and would like to ask my native speakers for advice... I would really appreciate your advice. iam not quite read to die ^^

If you could provide a photo of the stove that would be very nice. I find it hard to believe that one would need a gap in the front glass to have a stove function properly. Does it have tubes to direct the flame toward the glass?

images

I found this forum while looking at Japanese stoves:

Last edited:
Quadra fire Pellet stoves have and open bottom door, gasket shaped like a U. It could be the air wash.

IIRC there is a ZC fireplace that accomplishes the airwash this way too. We really need the stove make and model to verify.

Sounds like a big air leak, but that's the design. That said blackened glass is what most wood stove will do when they're running cool, smoldering and wet wood.