I am Worried glazing on inside of blaze king !!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I have a new Blaze King Ultra and the first couple of fires I did not get the stovetop temp up.(Lack of experience) After reading the response to my question I was able to get stove top up to 600*.
I then engaged cat and was able to see it fire off and glow !!! then I engaged the fans. But the first 2 fires I was not able to get stove top up. I think I was engaging cat to early and turning fan on to early.
Tonight I came home and wife had not touched stove so it was 100* stove top. I then turned tstat all the way to 4+ and disengaged cat turned off fans. Waited and when I saw glowing embers I opened and began to restart a fire. Thats when I noticed all shiney black glazed creosote all on the inside walls. I have been burning kiln dried stuff.
So I started a fire and am going to get it really hot and see if I can burn it off. I will keep checking this posting to see what u guys advise. If this is not what I should do let me know. Hate to think what could be in the chimney if it is in the inside of the stove??

Go ahead and do a short hot burn. The glaze should burn off without any dramatic consequences.

thank you thats what I am attempting now!!!

how hot ????

Ive had that in my princess, a good hot fire will burn it off no problem.

I still cant understand that 600f is a problem getting to with dry wood. What is your chimney set up? Glazing is still the result of moisture to a degree. If your cat was lit then anything downstream should be OK. Some creosote in the stove box is normal on real low burns when a flame has not been present and the wood is not up to snuff. God help you if you were to have a stove fire. ;-) Again, what do you have for a chimney?

kwikrp said:
how hot ????

600 stovetop should work. It's good to start off the day with a hot first burn. Gets the house up to temp and clears out the pipes.

I bought the stove I'm using now second hand. Good thing was that the previous owner never abused it. Bad thing was he didn't know how to get a good hot fire in it. Must have run it all the time with the air shut way down. It was coated with tons of creosote. One good fire and it was all white again inside.

Kiln-dried wood or not, low temp burns create creosote. Maybe your cat ate the stuff that was exiting the stove, but I'd check the flue anyway, just to be safe.

BeGreen said:
It's good to start off the day with a hot first burn. Gets the house up to temp and clears out the pipes.

Best advice I ever got was from a sweep who told me to run a real hot fire every morning for about an hour. It doesn't excuse bad burning practices, but it sure destroys a lot of the evidence. ;-)

i have an 8 inch SS insulated in an interior chimney.

Example: I just came in the house and loaded it to the gills with large dry spruce pieces. I stuffed some used dry tissue paper that I had in the ash pail by the stove into all the nooks and cranny's. Lit the paper, closed the door and left it on max. Got in the shower and washed up. Maybe 15 minutes by the time I got dressed. Stove top was 240f and CAT was just inside the active zone.
I engaged it and 10 minutes later the stove top was at 500f. I dialed it back to 2.5. Stove is now at 650 and climbing. Will set it at #2 until I go to bed, then set it at 1.5. Just checked and stove is at 700 and steady. Set @#2 now. Just posted.

My stove was heavily coated when I got it. A few hot pine fires took care of it. I also do a hot fire after every reload.

I am a first year BK Princess insert guy and just brushed the liner and cleaded up the insert. The inside of the insert looked like it had a browish rusty color on the inside of the walls that was easy to brush off. After burning all winter the liner had only a small amount of crap in it. Most of the stuff looked like dark colored flakes, and I think most of it came from the top of the liner.

I dont think what you are describing is a big deal and can be burned out with hot fires. I think it helped keeping the by-pass open in the first stage of the fire, maybe 10 minutes and this allows the moisture to burn off and heats up the cat.
We burned all winter and this insert just kept on turning out good heat. I think its all about burning good dry wood. Some of my wood was damp and it worked ok.

35 foot chimney ....thanks you guys have put my mind to rest a bit. But manual is contracting it states start fire just before cat gauge says active to close bypass. In that scenerio the stovetop temp is 200* ??? It also says not to run with bypass open can damage cat ????

I don't use stove top temp for when to close the bypass. I find with that big of a stove and an 8" pipe, there are too many variables for it to be consistent with the bypass open. Just make sure the wood is charred and you don't have a rogue sizzler in there. The key is to burn the moisture off before you close the bypass/engage the cat. With dry wood, this shouldn't take more than 10 minutes and I often close sooner than that. If your wood isn't perfect, let it go longer.

35' 8" interior chimney with an insulated liner. That'll suck seagulls off of a landfill. If there ever was a recipe for overdraft, you've found it with that chimney. On a non-cat stove that overdraft would cause one of two things, a runaway stove blast furnace style, or a stove that never heats up since all the heat is being sucked out of the firebox before it can heat the stove.

Since you bought it used, did you check to make sure the cat is intact, not clogged etc prior to firing it up?
Maybe you got a Glaze King instead of a Blaze King :coolgrin:

Hogwildz said:
Since you bought it used, did you check to make sure the cat is intact, not clogged etc prior to firing it up?

OPs purchase was a new stove.

north of 60 said:
Hogwildz said:

You must forgive us commoners that actually burn stuff IN the stove. And figured out how to do it instead of putting the stove out in the garage to rust. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
north of 60 said:
Hogwildz said:

You must forgive us commoners that actually burn stuff IN the stove. And figured out how to do it instead of putting the stove out in the garage to rust. :lol:

If you are referring to my Napoleon, It is now set up in my quad shed used to pre heat it for plowing snow when it is colder than -20c. I dont require a constant long low burn temp in the shed. 4hrs is long enough. You are forgiven.
As for my post...The OPs stove was purchased new so there was no creosote to start out with and he was dealing with a new healthy CAT. Thanks for your input BB. :-/

Hogwildz said:

I was the one who bought the used Glaze King...although it was more of a flowing nasty caked on creosote King. A couple hot pine fires took care of it. Didn't seem to affect the cat.

600 stovetop should work. It’s good to start off the day with a hot first burn. Gets the house up to temp and clears out the pipes.

Always good to the start the morning by clearing out the pipes :p

Oops, my mistake.
I stand corrected.

i get some flakes on the back of the stove. nothing crazy and it all gets burned up with the hot fire first thing. i thing it just cools off in the back of the stove. side walls and glass stay clean as a whistle. only on low burn. anything above 1.5 i dont think you should be getting a glaze. what are you setting it at?

Status
Not open for further replies.