I cleaned my chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
After all these years I decided to buy a soot eatter. Today was the day to do it. I did a thorough cleaning.
For all the people who are on the fence and think you can't do it or its to hard, think again. It was pretty easy and took about a total of 15 minutes to set up clean and put the cap back on. To be honest I know I did a better job than some of the people that service chimneys. my stove pipe is clean buildup
If you have a basic skill level and up this may be for you.

Dang, where’s the pics!??
my roof has some pitch to it.. so no Selfies while I'm on the roof and I have hands full of tools ..
the stuff I had to vacuum out of the stove was a brown powder type of material.. no glazing in the pipe at all..

After all these years I decided to buy a soot eatter. Today was the day to do it. I did a thorough cleaning.
For all the people who are on the fence and think you can't do it or its to hard, think again. It was pretty easy and took about a total of 15 minutes to set up clean and put the cap back on. To be honest I know I did a better job than some of the people that service chimneys. my stove pipe is clean buildup
If you have a basic skill level and up this may be for you.
Picts of the roof and pipe extension and in house stove connection? Hmm, recalling examples of guys with broken wrists, neck and knees from roof falls. Is there a way to do bottom up?

Picts of the roof and pipe extension and in house stove connection? Hmm, recalling examples of guys with broken wrists, neck and knees from roof falls. Is there a way to do bottom up?

I could do a bottom up.. its going to be a little difficult.. my damper is small.. I'd rather do it fome the top down.. its easier and most likely less frustrating

Reactions: Sawset
I am thinking of going to the soot eater.. 60 years old, 3 stories high, 12/12 pitched roof.. Getting close to the point where I just don't want to.. LOL