I don’t care anymore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 15, 2022
Maryland
I’ve been scrounging wood from various sources and all I know is I have some apple, red oak, and maple. Everything else is a crap shoot. I know it’s not pine. I’m splitting by hand and working to get the wood off the ground and covered. I used to try to know what was where but I don’t care anymore. I’m just splitting rounds with a maul and stacking. Split and stack. I do know where the dry stuff is for this winter though!

53BDF2B0-F15C-4C78-9502-23028B011158.jpeg

Reactions: Riff and EbS-P
Well u r doing the most important thing, grabbing as much as u can and splitting and stacking as fast as you can. You can always use a moisture meter this winter to test what's what and restack the not yet seasoned wood, which probably will be most of it this year. But the future years should be good with the mixed up stuff.

Reactions: Investmentdude
When you are starving dog food starts to look good ;) once you get some inventory then your tastes can be refined. I have an indoor wood boiler with storage than can burn anything dry. I call my wood piles "boiler chow" as someone with a wood stove concerned with long burns would turn up their nose on my randomly split wood of various hardwood species. Eventually you will probably drift to the densest wood in your area to reduce the volume of wood you need to process others like me burn what I have handy.

I separate oak only. It takes forever to season. Don't get soft woods.

Looks good to me, dry wood is dry wood, I purposely burn pine and cotton wood myself, perfect shoulder season / warm winter wood. Go one step deeper and cut up shorties or uglies, I take a pallet and 72" metal fencing, make a cylinder out of a 10ft piece using wire ties to bond the cylinder to itself, just randomly throw the splits into it and let it dry for a year, you'll like the results, just as good if not better then regular splits