I don't believe my new moisture meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul L

Sep 28, 2013
Westcliffe, CO
I'm about a month into burning. Almost everything going into the stove is ponderosa pine and most of it has been split since this spring. I'm having smoky glass problems and thought that most of that was due to the moisture content of the wood and that it would get better when my supply got drier. Just got a Harbor Freight moisture meter and based on how my wood was behaving I was expecting readings in the 22 to 25% range.

What I'm getting by measuring with the grain on fresh splits is in the range of 6 to 15% and I don't buy it. Is there a way to test a "known quantity" with a moisture meter to see if it is accurate?

Ya stepped into it here! Ya know I can't pass it by! Ya know what I'm gonna say don't ya? "The most accurate device for checking the moisture content of split firewood is a multi-year calendar!" ;lol

Last edited:
My HF meter shows my skin at 17%.

"too dry" is an actual problem. The wood gasifies faster than the air can keep up. This isn't necesarily the issue- but definitely something to consider.

When I want to throw my kiln into reduction- I use dry pine. Instant smoke.

"too dry" is an actual problem. The wood gasifies faster than the air can keep up. This isn't necesarily the issue- but definitely something to consider.

Adios could be right. I live in the Rockies, too (Idaho). Instead of Ponderosa I'm getting Lodgepole pine. I got the Lowe's general MM. You must realize that you are in an air-thin environment (low humidity), with little rain and hot summer days. I've got readings down to 6% moisture content. Wood that is too dry demands more oxygen and can burn too hot and fast. Wood stoves are geared for wetter wood. Maybe mix in some fresher cut firewood and see how it burns?

Ya stepped into it here! Ya know I pass it by! Ya know what I'm gonna say don't ya? "The most accurate device for checking the moisture content of split firewood is a multi-year calendar!" ;lol

I am in the first year of this stuff. Do NOT make me come up / over / out there :p

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
How is the wood behaving, does it burst into flames right away when put on hot coals?

Interesting. I have splits that weigh a ton that I've set aside for next year and I still don't get any readings over
15%.

How is the wood behaving, does it burst into flames right away when put on hot coals?

The driest splits do that. The ones measuring higher (15%) are smokey and more stubborn.

Interesting. I have splits that weigh a ton that I've set aside for next year and I still don't get any readings over
15%.

It might be 15% on the outside, you have to check the inside.

I have a HF MM and it works fine, tried it on everything from fresh cut oak to 2X4's to my hand, all good.

This is all starting to point to a pre-EPA stove owner starting to run an EPA stove. Happens a dozen times a season here. It ain't the wood.

Reactions: tfdchief
Went from a Fisher to the new stove in November.

I measure the freshly split interior with the grain and push the pins in firmly.

The pine I'm measuring @ 8% is nowhere near as dry as the bundled stuff at the grocery store ... it's only been split and stacked for 5 or 6 months.

Telling a newbie his wood might be drier than he thinks? Is this upside down day ;lol

I am in the first year of this stuff. Do NOT make me come up / over / out there :p

I'd love to come out there! I lived in Trinidad while going to gunsmith school there back in the early 70's. Fantastic country!

Reactions: Paul L
My HF meter shows my skin at 17%.

I've had my HF meter for three years and it has consistently measured my palm to be 32%. I guess I must be part oak...

I've had my HF meter for three years and it has consistently measured my palm to be 32%. I guess I must be part oak...

My meter also reads the palm of my hand in the 30's, if I push it pretty firm I get 35%.

Palm 32%. Back of hand 17%.

My palm reads 21% no matter what. Now the back of my hand reads 20/21 and then consistently jumps to 41%. So far I'm not seeing anything here that leads me to believe this meter is working correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.