I don't believe my new moisture meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about a month into burning. Almost everything going into the stove is ponderosa pine and most of it has been split since this spring. I'm having smoky glass problems and thought that most of that was due to the moisture content of the wood and that it would get better when my supply got drier. Just got a Harbor Freight moisture meter and based on how my wood was behaving I was expecting readings in the 22 to 25% range.

What I'm getting by measuring with the grain on fresh splits is in the range of 6 to 15% and I don't buy it. Is there a way to test a "known quantity" with a moisture meter to see if it is accurate?

I don't believe your moisture meter either. If you're in CO, and burning pine that has been slipt and stacked since spring, it should be fine.

A MM can't tell you anything you don't already know about your wood, it can only confirm.

If your glass is getting sooty you're probably not burning a hot enough fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.