i don't have any room in the plenum what now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dodgetech

Apr 15, 2009
central iowa grundy center
hi,i am a newbie to this site and been looking for a way to fit a heat exchanger in my forced air furnace,there's not any room in there, the A-coil fills the whole thing,sorry by the way i have a central boiler 6048 and am going to hook it up for next season,do i maybe need a air handler or something to hook in to the plenum,there isn't much for ceiling height in the basement. i have wood all cut and ready to go and with this big of a investment i have to make it work . chet

You can put the coil in the return plenum if you have the room. It will work just fine.

Another opchion if you have the room is set another air handler with a hydronic coil in it. It would take some duct work and a damper to be able to isolate your current furanace from the air handler. If you put a coil in your return make sure you have a filter ahead of the coil so you don't plug the coil up.

good idea, but there is no returns in this house just a filter hanging off the side of a lennox pulse

ok looks like i may have to go the air handler route,more money,anybody know of a good brand to go with or can i maybe get one from central.i need enough flow for a 2500 sq foot house,any good replies will help thanks

dodgetech said:
good idea, but there is no returns in this house just a filter hanging off the side of a lennox pulse

I'm not an HVAC expert, but the thing that occurs to me would be to just make (or have an HVAC shop make for you) an "extension box" that would go where your current air filter is - put the heat exchanger coil in that box, and hange the filter on the other side of it... Assuming that you have an appropriate amount of space, and that none of the HVAC guys chime in with some reason it wouldn't work or shouldn't be done like that, seems like the simplest solution to me...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.